%temp%

Florian11

is it safe to delete all files in the  %temp% folder, because it has 149gb of data with names like {abfddfsf1234dsfesef<adyf}?

And i dont know what this all is,  sometimes while browsing the internet my antivirus program deletes possible viruses there. After a long time my pc went very slow i get about 70% of the fps in games compared to the amount of fps that i had when my laptop was new.

Delete the content of that folder, it will not affect your stored data in any way. You should install ccleaner to automatically optimize your PC by getting read of temporary files and unused data. You will see a definite improvement in your day to day use by cleaning it regularly.

Hope it helps! :)

yes but only the folders with the name njhdksjansmdbwuahzxnxzsbinqudjsklzmnbcwua

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

is it safe to delete all files in the  %temp% folder, because it has 149gb of data with names like {abfddfsf1234dsfesef<adyf}?

And i dont know what this all is,  sometimes while browsing the internet my antivirus program deletes possible viruses there. After a long time my pc went very slow i get about 70% of the fps in games compared to the amount of fps that i had when my laptop was new.

149gigs... damn sir that's a lot. Never seen that in my life and I clean up a lot of computers.

Everything that's in my PC and on my desk

Intel Core i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 770 Gaming 2GB | Corsair Obsidian 450D | Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD | Toshiba 1TB HDD | Corsair CX750M  | Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition | NZXT Hue RGB Leds | 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition | Corsair AF120 Performance Edition | Nanoxia Frontpanel Extension Red | AOC G2770PQU | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate MX Brown | Corsair Vengeance M65 FPS | Corsair Vengeance 1500

How has your drive not run out of room?

Anyway, I delete everything in that file and the found in:

C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Temp

Regularly. None of the files in there are necessary and windows will prevent you from deleting those that are being used for system functions

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Perfectly safe, just contains files that are mostly not needed anymore, I even created a batch file that clears my temp folder so I can maximize free space on my SSD 

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Delete the content of that folder, it will not affect your stored data in any way. You should install ccleaner to automatically optimize your PC by getting read of temporary files and unused data. You will see a definite improvement in your day to day use by cleaning it regularly.

Hope it helps! :)

+1 I would use CCleaner to clean up your temp files if you don't feel safe in deleting them manually.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

i dont want to use ccleaner (already tried it) because i am scared of having him deleting files which are important

i dont want to use ccleaner (already tried it) because i am scared of having him deleting files which are important

ccleaner is completely safe and you can disable deleting certain content like web browser session data, recently visited documents, saved passwords etc.

Temp folder is a folder to contain temporary files from programs.

Meaning every time you run your program, it expects to have no previous content, nor checks for that, and recreates everything.

TECHNICALLY speaking, your programs are supposed to delete all it's temporary files before closing, but very few programs does for some reason.

So, everything inside the Temp folder can be safely deleted. Files that you can't delete, are just files being used by a running program that you have.

Yea, it's fine. Delete them all. If it says some are in use, just skip those. 

Agh, %temp%, for some of you who never look you should for those who do, well just saying hi ;)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Perfectly safe, just contains files that are mostly not needed anymore, I even created a batch file that clears my temp folder so I can maximize free space on my SSD 

I'd recommend doing this and then setting the script to either run when you log off, or set a scheduled task to run the script every week or so.

are there any other folders which have collected some files which you actually dont need?

are there any other folders which have collected some files which you actually dont need?

C:\Windows\Temp

and technically speaking, C:\Users\<Account Name>\AppData\Local

But this is where programs and Windows puts their caches, so affected programs will take time to load as it will need to re-create them.

It also incldue things like thumbnail cache and other things of such from Windows and it's built-in softwares.

I would not delete it. You can have a look inside for maybe old programs that you removed already, if you are desperate for space, but it's usually small files to none for small programs.

but after cleaning %temp% i still have 200GB on my HDD

there is only the os installed and BF3, bf4, cod ghosts, cod bo2, minecraft, all drivers you need for pc and nothing more

Check out Space Sniffer.

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/

Despite the horribly designed site, the tool is actually really good. It visually shows you how much space things take in your drive, and can pin point what is taking so much space and see in moving or deleting it.

Here is a picture showing an example:

space_sniffer_grande.JPG

In the above case, he has a folder called Temp in his F:\ drive, and what consumes the most, are 2 video files of about 350MB each.

The software is free.

ok i will download it when i am allowed to use the computer

thanks