Ryzen 7 5800x Intel Equivalent

Hey all,聽

I am moving to the intel platform as I am having more and more issues with my Ryzen set up 馃槥

What is the equivalent on the intel platform these days?聽

Many thanks聽

George

Use cases and is cost much of a consideration?

If building new today I'd look at Alder Lake. An 12700 series would get you 8 P cores as well as 4 E cores. K if you want to pay more, non-K if you want to pay less and closer to the 5800X. OC is pretty irrelevant these days anyway. Note you need to run Win11 to get the best out of them.

The older聽11700k may also be a consideration. I'd make sure to pair it with a 500 chipset and not a 400, as I had problems when I tried that. But it might just be the crappy bios of the older chipset mobo.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi,聽Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE聽ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070,聽MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North,聽Samsung 990 Pro 2TB,聽Acer Predator XB241YU聽24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system:聽i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p聽G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Use cases and is cost much of a consideration?

If building new today I'd look at Alder Lake. An 12700 series would get you 8 P cores as well as 4 E cores. K if you want to pay more, non-K if you want to pay less and closer to the 5800X. OC is pretty irrelevant these days anyway. Note you need to run Win11 to get the best out of them.

The older聽11700k may also be a consideration. I'd make sure to pair it with a 500 chipset and not a 400, as I had problems when I tried that. But it might just be the crappy bios of the older chipset.

No use case and cost isn't much of a consideration either. I'll be selling my 5800x plus my MSI MEG ACE X570 Motherboard so I'll be recouping a HUGE chunk of it back聽

Is there much of a performance difference between 11700k and Alderlake 12700 ?聽

Thanks for your response聽

6 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

No use case and cost isn't much of a consideration either. I'll be selling my 5800x plus my MSI MEG ACE X570 Motherboard so I'll be recouping a HUGE chunk of it back聽

You like the good stuff 馃檪 Didn't want to say it initially but I'm wondering if you could fix whatever problem you have rather than making the switch. Maybe you have tried already.

6 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Is there much of a performance difference between 11700k and Alderlake 12700 ?聽

The way I look at performance differs from others and at the end of the day you should look at test comparisons for use cases you care about. 12th gen is the first come back generation for Intel fighting against AMD.

11th gen was an interesting experiment for Intel, taking what was then a 10nm design and making it on 14nm. It is the first new performance microarchitecture offered on desktop since Skylake but with some compromises from being made on 14nm. It remains the only consumer desktop CPUs that officially supports AVX-512 if that matters (it is available in older HEDT and some mobile offerings). Support in 12th gen was implemented but disabled. Overall IPC increased from Comet Lake and previous, with perf/W comparable likely due to it remaining on 14nm. It also gets catchup features to AMD with PCIe 4.0 support for example.

12th gen is made on the now renamed Intel 7 process, meant to be roughly comparable to TSMC 7nm. Architecture has been updated again, still get decent clocks out of it, and the addition of the E cores requiring Win11 so the OS doesn't do something too stupid. We may go back to the performance leapfrogging of the distant past with AMD Zen 4 maybe retaking the lead again, and whatever Intel's successor is fighting back. PCIe 5.0 support if you get the top chipset mobos, although that is more a paper advantage as I'm not aware of anything using it yet in the consumer space. DDR5 support is interesting but you have to throw some money at it.

For most use cases I'd pick 12th gen if buying today. Personally I'd aim to go DDR5 despite at the increased cost, even if for many use cases there isn't a significant advantage over DDR4. 11th gen may be a consideration only if you have a bit of a niche like me, either from AVX-512 support or wanting to stick to Win10. Well, you could use Win10 with 12th gen but I think that is just asking for trouble unless you disable the E cores, and you don't usually buy latest tech to turn bits off. While I have no doubt 12th gen is "better", the 11700k I'm running in my gaming system is still plenty good enough for my uses. 5800X would also be great. Thinking about it, historically most of my upgrades have been more "because I can" then any strong need.

Hmm... if you can hold out a bit longer next gen from both sides might be released towards the end of the year.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi,聽Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE聽ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070,聽MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North,聽Samsung 990 Pro 2TB,聽Acer Predator XB241YU聽24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system:聽i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p聽G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, porina said:

You like the good stuff 馃檪 Didn't want to say it initially but I'm wondering if you could fix whatever problem you have rather than making the switch. Maybe you have tried already.

The way I look at performance differs from others and at the end of the day you should look at test comparisons for use cases you care about. 12th gen is the first come back generation for Intel fighting against AMD.

11th gen was an interesting experiment for Intel, taking what was then a 10nm design and making it on 14nm. It is the first new performance microarchitecture offered on desktop since Skylake but with some compromises from being made on 14nm. It remains the only consumer desktop CPUs that officially supports AVX-512 if that matters (it is available in older HEDT and some mobile offerings). Support in 12th gen was implemented but disabled. Overall IPC increased from Comet Lake and previous, with perf/W comparable likely due to it remaining on 14nm. It also gets catchup features to AMD with PCIe 4.0 support for example.

12th gen is made on the now renamed Intel 7 process, meant to be roughly comparable to TSMC 7nm. Architecture has been updated again, still get decent clocks out of it, and the addition of the E cores requiring Win11 so the OS doesn't do something too stupid. We may go back to the performance leapfrogging of the distant past with AMD Zen 4 maybe retaking the lead again, and whatever Intel's successor is fighting back. PCIe 5.0 support if you get the top chipset mobos, although that is more a paper advantage as I'm not aware of anything using it yet in the consumer space. DDR5 support is interesting but you have to throw some money at it.

For most use cases I'd pick 12th gen if buying today. Personally I'd aim to go DDR5 despite at the increased cost, even if for many use cases there isn't a significant advantage over DDR4. 11th gen may be a consideration only if you have a bit of a niche like me, either from AVX-512 support or wanting to stick to Win10. Well, you could use Win10 with 12th gen but I think that is just asking for trouble unless you disable the E cores, and you don't usually buy latest tech to turn bits off. While I have no doubt 12th gen is "better", the 11700k I'm running in my gaming system is still plenty good enough for my uses. 5800X would also be great. Thinking about it, historically most of my upgrades have been more "because I can" then any strong need.

Hmm... if you can hold out a bit longer next gen from both sides might be released towards the end of the year.

I have tried to fix this problem. I have a thread about it here if you want to have a look...聽

I do think its a change back to intel for a while 馃檪

3 hours ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Hey all,聽

I am moving to the intel platform as I am having more and more issues with my Ryzen set up 馃槥

What is the equivalent on the intel platform these days?聽

Many thanks聽

George

Most people rather experience less and less issues with Ryzen, but many do have issues with new 12th gen Intel ...

But indeed you shoudl have stayed on Win10, I can't see any reason to use Win11 except if you really need more issues 馃檪

System : AMD R9 5900X聽/ Gigabyte聽X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18聽/聽ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /聽聽Eisbaer 280mm AIO聽(with 2xArctic P14 fans)/ 2TB Crucial T500聽 NVme +聽2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDDdrives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/聽聽Alienware AW3420DW 34"120Hz聽3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight聽mouse / Audeze Maxwell聽headphones