SteerMouse - An essential software for anyone using MacOS with a mouse

PixelPanda

I was a lifelong Windows user until about a year ago when the M1 MacBooks came out and the pros heavily outweighed the cons of sticking around with a Windows laptop. Of course, me being new to MacOS, I had no idea that the mouse implementation in MacOS absolutely sucked.

Problems I faced

• Unable to turn off mouse acceleration
  • Unable to turn off scroll wheel / scrolling acceleration (How is this even a thing!?)
  • Back and forward buttons don't work
  • Scroll wheel scrolling direction is SYNCED to the touchpad's direction

Then I found SteerMouse which solved every single one of my issues and also added extra functionality to my mouse! Here's a video on how it works.

There is a 30 days free trail, and the software will cost $20 after (Lifetime license). As a long time Windows user, there's simply no way I can use MacOS without having SteerMouse installed. Who at Apple even thought that scroll wheel acceleration should be a thing that can't be disabled? 

SteerMouse lives inside system preferences as a prefpane plugin, which means it takes up little to no system resources compared to other softwares that offer to do similar things. It also lets you map your extra buttons if you have a mice with extra function buttons such as the Logitech G604 or MX Master. It pretty much replaces the need for the manufacturer software to adjust mouse settings. 

All in all, SteerMouse is a 10/10 piece of software for me. It is reasonably priced, no subscriptions, fixes all my mouse problems with MacOS and also adds a sea of customisability to my mouse with the modifier keys and chord functions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 10:43 AM, PixelPanda said:

in MacOS absolutely sucked.

I have no issues with my Logitech G Pro gaming mouse. To be fair, I have a gaming machine and I did save a profile to the mouse. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 4/20/2022 at 10:43 AM, PixelPanda said:
  • Unable to turn off mouse acceleration
  • Unable to turn off scroll wheel / scrolling acceleration (How is this even a thing!?)

You can turn both of these things off easily using terminal. 

The Logitech G hub solves all of the other issues you had.