Gpu requires 3 8pin cables… should I just get extensions or complete Modular cables?

TexasBulldog74
Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,

Don't use extensions, that's asking for trouble. You could modify the factory cables? However... As you already pointed out:

12 hours ago, TexasBulldog74 said:

i have so much money and time into this build to not only be a high end performer but also a very clean look and these 3 dangling pigtails are really bothering me.

With this in mind, the real solution is the custom cables. Yes it's kind of annoying to spend $100 on a set of cables, but it will be done right and will look so much better. I would get one of the cables that is all 3 tied together 8+8+8, basically a 24 pin cable (keeps the wires nice and neat):

spacer.png

So my new EVGA 3080 ftw3 ultra has 3 8pin power connectors and the 3 that came with my Corsair rm850x all have the Daisy chain 2nd connector and they look awful in there. 

i considered getting extensions but then that leaves a lot of wires in the back and with my Corsair fan and rgb controllers I don’t think I will have the room. I also have 2 Sata drives in the basement so that kills any extra room I may of been able to take advantage of. 

my case is a Lian Li lancool 2 mesh btw. 

so looking for custom cables that I can plug directly into my PSU they all seem to run $27-30 each so I’d be looking at about $100 for these 3 cables alone. 

i don’t need them fancy, a simple black or white would be fine but I don’t know if anyone has any recommendations on a place to order from?  

i have so much money and time into this build to not only be a high end performer but also a very clean look and these 3 dangling pigtails are really bothering me. 

thanks. 

Either buy Corsairs specifically made cables i would believe type 3, but make sure you check if the calbes you want to buy from them are type 3 or type 4
The other options are infinite cables and cablemod.

Personally once give my brother a 3060ti TUF i`m considering to buy him custom cables from cable mod. since he also has the 4000d corsair RM 650x

u could just kinda bend the second plug backwards and fix it with cable ties…

RMi, same cables Im guessing… it doesnt look too bad imo?

20220325_064518.thumb.jpg.459b834c6dab897c3c590eb59983f0bb.jpg

only thing that looks bad is the "6+2* plugs, but nothing can be done about that i guess.

Alternatively you're probably indeed looking at 60-100 bucks or so, I dont think corsair cables are super cheap or anything either.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

28 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

u could just kinda bend the second plug backwards and fix it with cable ties…

RMi, same cables Im guessing… it doesnt look too bad imo?

20220325_064518.thumb.jpg.459b834c6dab897c3c590eb59983f0bb.jpg

only thing that looks bad is the "6+2* plugs, but nothing can be done about that i guess.

Alternatively you're probably indeed looking at 60-100 bucks or so, I dont think corsair cables are super cheap or anything either.

With just 2 maybe I could deal with it but my gpu has 3 power connectors so Folding 3 back is just a lot to my eyes. I don’t knit why it bugs me so much but I guess my only other option is forking over the money for some custom cables

I’m almost considering just buying a new power supply jumping up from my 850w to a 1,000w if it comes with the cables I need and paying the extra $100 for the extra headroom?  I don’t know

1 hour ago, TexasBulldog74 said:

With just 2 maybe I could deal with it but my gpu has 3 power connectors so Folding 3 back is just a lot to my eyes.

yeah true that doesnt make it easier… still if you put the cables from under the GPU like i did u basically dont see the "2nd" connectors…

And i agree, i dont get why they dont sell two skus, one with fancy stupid pigtails and one with proper cables lol… or just do away with the pig tails, this isnt anime after all! :3

but really, i dont get it, such a simple choice…

idk if a 1000w is different, mines a 650w ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, TexasBulldog74 said:

With just 2 maybe I could deal with it but my gpu has 3 power connectors so Folding 3 back is just a lot to my eyes. I don’t knit why it bugs me so much but I guess my only other option is forking over the money for some custom cables

I did it with 3 cables but it also depends on the cables. Mine are different than those in @Mark Kaines pictures.

DSC_0873.thumb.JPG.00612bc6d2b52113ebaf690312abe93f.JPG

Custom cables would be an option.

I personally never bothered with custom cables as I like my stuff black and paying extra for different black cables I don't think is worth it. Plus once the slightly tinted glass panel is on there you really don't notice it that much.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

4 hours ago, Montana One-Six said:

I did it with 3 cables but it also depends on the cables. Mine are different than those in @Mark Kaines pictures.

yeah, the problem with corsair cables is they have these capacitors (or as i call them, coilwhine inductors 🤣) flat cables are easier to work with, and look more clean for sure. And yeah, with the glass panel the cables are almost unnoticable anyway. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Don't use extensions, that's asking for trouble. You could modify the factory cables? However... As you already pointed out:

12 hours ago, TexasBulldog74 said:

With this in mind, the real solution is the custom cables. Yes it's kind of annoying to spend $100 on a set of cables, but it will be done right and will look so much better. I would get one of the cables that is all 3 tied together 8+8+8, basically a 24 pin cable (keeps the wires nice and neat):

spacer.png

11 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

spacer.png

Super clean. That’s exactly what I want it to look like. Guess I’ll throw money at the ugliness to do it right lol. More overtime in the future I guess.