Need help making USB3.0 port work

eyeangle

I had a custom PC built for me but they only gave me one USB3.0 port. How do I make the right one work?

usb3.jpg.3c12eb8d591344db33744802bca5cc42.jpg

You can't, there's no metal in there. It's just a partial hole in the case that the case maker didn't fill with a USB socket.

You could look into mounting your own cable, but it will need to be secured to the inside of the case VERY strongly - which will be hard to do as a retrofit.

Thanks for your reply.

Arh, that's frustrating. I do have more USB3.0 ports on the rear IO but I wouldn't mind having a go if it's not too complicated.

It's a Thermaltake Versa N25 case.

I'll have a look online and see if I can find a tutorial.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:35 AM, eyeangle said:

Thanks for your reply.

Arh, that's frustrating. I do have more USB3.0 ports on the rear IO but I wouldn't mind having a go if it's not too complicated.

It's a Thermaltake Versa N25 case.

I'll have a look online and see if I can find a tutorial.

If it's a Thermaltake Versa n25 case, you at least know the case manufacturer and model. ... Likely what has happened your case was optioned with a base option of 1x USB3 port... which means the breakout board and likely the internal cable only have 1x port... the case type may have a similar model that has 2x ports... you'll have to do some hunting, but may be found on a Replacement Parts section on the Manufacturer's website or places like eBay (used and maybe jacked price)... then to figure out if your internal wiring harness for the electronic board will support the new added features or you'll have to find that part as well

Look at similar cases in the Versa N25 range for the parts you need...

hope that helps....

If you can't find the parts.... a Dremel may be in your future...

BlackDragon

Intel Core i9 10920x CPU; ASUS ROG Strix x299-E Gaming II Motherboard; 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 MHz Quad Channel Kit; EVGA RTX 2070 Gaming 8 GB; 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD; 1 TB WD Blue SATA SSD; 2x 6 TB HGST DeskStar NAS Hard Drives; Corsair Hydro H150i RGB PRO XT All In One Cooler; Corsair RM1000i 1000 Watt PSU; Corsair Commander Pro Lighting & Fan control; 4x Corsair HD120 RGB 120 mm fans - Intake ; Lian Li 011-Dynamic Razer Edition cube case, Windows 11 Pro 23H2