4 pin sata power from 6 pin mobo connector

Hello,

After searching online, I am confused.

I have a 4pin>2x sata power cable and a 6 pin connector on my motherboard, will plugging the 4 pin into the 6 pin work to power 2 sata hdd's?

Or would this just not work if I turn the pc on?

foto_no_exif.jpg

the 4 pins if I’m not mistaken are 3v, 5v, 12v, ground. the other 2 pins are for if additional power is necessary and a hard drive doesn’t full a lot of power so you should be fine. I would lookup a pinout and check with a multimeter to be sure tho.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

I doubt that motherboard uses the 12vo standard, so that 6 pin connector is custom ... you could figure out the pins by simply measuring the voltage with a multimeter.

But ... it looks like you have a molex connector to the right, where your finger is, and you have red=5v , black  = ground and yellow is 12v ... so you could easily get a cable with 2 or more sata connectors and solder the wires to the existing wires in the molex plug (cut cut the insulation with a sharp blade)

Without cutting and soldering :

get a 2-4 sata to molex female (like the plug on the motherboard) , here's example : https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108794-24-Inch-15-Pin-Female/dp/B009GULFJ0/

get a 2 x molex male -> 1 x molex female (Y cable) , here's example : https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Molex-Power-Supply-Splitter/dp/B07945ZZ59/

Now you can plug one of the male molex into the motherboard, the plug that currently goes in your motherboard to the female bit, and the other molex male into the molex female of the sata adapter cable:

doesn't have to be cables from amazon, you can buy these adapters locally, you can buy them from ebay, whatever.

image.thumb.png.e7289004bb2194cc46226f4f2e601732.png