Pc pixking up vr headset as main monitor

Hi i am new to vr. And well everytime i put my vr headset in it picks this up as mian monitor even in bios. My main monitor uses a dvi to hdmi. 

My vr headset is the original htc vive. No matter what i do i keep getting my desktop in the vr, even in direct display. I cannot play anything let alone see steam vr as a result. On ubuntu. Is there some 2ay to swap the display order? So it detects the dvi as main and hdmi as secondary?

And by dvi i mean the rectangular port with a diagonal corner. The picture is the monitor issue. I used the options menu for refrence. Yes that is 1080p. I could disable the display in settings using work space switcher to get to corner to confirm, per os spasifically but would that make it not work with steam?  That also doesnt solve the bios issue.

edit 1: the disabling of display in the os makes the headset not work at all.

20220417_222706.jpg

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

7 hours ago, Snowarch said:

Hi i am new to vr. And well everytime i put my vr headset in it picks this up as mian monitor even in bios. My main monitor uses a dvi to hdmi. 

My vr headset is the original htc vive. No matter what i do i keep getting my desktop in the vr, even in direct display. I cannot play anything let alone see steam vr as a result. On ubuntu. Is there some 2ay to swap the display order? So it detects the dvi as main and hdmi as secondary?

Regarding the POST/BIOS screen I believe this is normal behaviour. My 1080 Ti does the same where with multiple monitors attached HDMI is considered the 'primary' display and will always put the splash screen and BIOS there.

And by dvi i mean the rectangular port with a diagonal corner.

Do you perhaps mean DisplayPort? DVI looks like this and doesn't really have anything I'd call a diagonal corner:

392px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

The picture is the monitor issue. I used the options menu for refrence. Yes that is 1080p. I could disable the display in settings using work space switcher to get to corner to confirm, per os spasifically but would that make it not work with steam?  That also doesnt solve the bios issue.

Do you have other ports you can try? This thread suggest some settings in SteamVR you can try:

Unplug your Vive and boot your machine. Go into SteamVR settings and make sure you enable direct mode instead of extended mode. When your Vive is in extended mode it's just treated as another monitor by Windows.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB