5800x major heat issue

Ravendarat

Ok so I have my friends son cyber power tower here, he got is about a year and a half ago and it has MAJOR overheating issue. It came equipped with a Ryzen 5800x and an EVGA 3080, there were NO case fans installed by cyber power. The CPU had a 120mm aio installed on it, I am not impressed. So at the desktop it IDLES at like 78 degrees, if I run cinebench it instantly spikes to 90 degrees and thermal throttles. it scores between 6500-7000 points. I have the same cpu in my computer and I hit 14xxx, now I have am open loop so I get my cooling is better but this is obviously not ok. I installed 3 Li Unifans as intakes, took the 120mm off the aio and installed it as a rear exhaust and tossed on a hyper212 just to test. Exact same results. I see no OC of any kind on this thing, in fact XMP wasnt even enabled by default. Any ideas where to look next for what is causing this thing to be a bsr-b-que?

I would start looking at background processes. 78c at idle and 90c at load tells me they likely have malware/crypto scams running in background processes likely. Check for any processes using up CPU cycles at idle and nuke them. It may be a good idea to do a fresh install of windows if this proves to be true. You should also download malwarebytes and run a full scan with it and see what it detects. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I would start looking at background processes. 78c at idle and 90c at load tells me they likely have malware/crypto scams running in background processes likely. Check for any processes using up CPU cycles at idle and nuke them. It may be a good idea to do a fresh install of windows if this proves to be true. You should also download malwarebytes and run a full scan with it and see what it detects. 

Ok I was thinking similar, and get this, if I open task manager the idle temp drops down to high 40's low 50's and if I run cinebench with the task manager open I get 14XXX as a score. So there must be some kind of background program running that stops itself when task manager is open to make itself harder to find? Is that a thing?

1 minute ago, Ravendarat said:

Ok I was thinking similar, and get this, if I open task manager the idle temp drops down to high 40's low 50's and if I run cinebench with the task manager open I get 14XXX as a score. So there must be some kind of background program running that stops itself when task manager is open to make itself harder to find? Is that a thing?

Wouldn't surprise me. If you close task manager, does the temps shoot back up?

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Wouldn't surprise me. If you close task manager, does the temps shoot back up?

Yep they sure do. Sounds like I should tell this kid to back his important stuff up and do a fresh install

1 minute ago, Ravendarat said:

Yep they sure do. Sounds like I should tell this kid to back his important stuff up and do a fresh install

yea, sounds like Malware then. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

9 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

yea, sounds like Malware then. 

Thanks, ya ill see what he wants to do, always using his computer with task manager open is not exactly ideal lol. 

Tried using the reset tool built into windows, problem persists so I am going to make a bootable usb off a different computer and try that. Should have never said I would help lol