Police don't investigate cybercrime.

Hrrs

I had a similar experience to Linus. After using a cash point machine, I had ~$5000 taken out of my bank account (and deposited onto gambling websites). When I called the police, they said, "what do you want us to do about it?" I was confused, "whatever you want; I am reporting a crime." The police explained that they don't investigate cybercrime. Thankfully, my bank was much more helpful, and they refunded me the entire amount since I had never gambled before.

A few months later, one of the gambling websites sent me a letter threatening to press charges along with a massive stack of papers of "evidence" that it was me depositing the money onto their website. I don't think there was any real "evidence", mostly pages of my name spelt wrong, wrong addresses, and screenshots of IP addresses. In the end, they didn't press charges.

I was really confused about the whole thing. How did the scammer manage to deposit $5000 using a new card without being flagged as suspicious? Why doesn't the police/bank have the power to ask the gambling website to freeze the money? If the scammer wins any bets, how are they going to withdraw their money? 

The lesson here is always contact your bank first, and then contact them again until you get your money back.

some ATMs, which was a real hugh thing a short time ago, had skimming devices put onto them. 

With those devices they read your card, when you put it in, and a little camera filmed you putting in your pin code. 

That is why I check free open standing ATMs before using them for such kind of things.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Sounds like your card got skimmed. The scammer had all the same information for using your debit card as you did, so the bank and gambling site were none the wiser. That was only going to get caught once you noticed activity you didn't remember.

Definitely a job for your bank's fraud department. The police will only get involved if the bank notices a pattern of fraudulent activity across multiple accounts and loops them in.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I keep most of my money in savings accounts which don't have cards. The account which does have a card (would probably be called a "checking account" in the US - it's a "current account" in the UK) only has a small amount and no arranged overdraft. This minimises the amount of money that can be stolen using the card.

I would strongly recommend that you consider doing this in the future. No disrespect or blame to the OP for this - they were probably unaware of the threat - but there's no way in hell I'd be keeping over $5000 in an account with a card which I carry around and use in cash machines.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I keep most of my money in savings accounts which don't have cards. The account which does have a card (would probably be called a "checking account" in the US - it's a "current account" in the UK) only has a small amount and no arranged overdraft. This minimises the amount of money that can be stolen using the card.

I would strongly recommend that you consider doing this in the future. No disrespect or blame to the OP for this - they were probably unaware of the threat - but there's no way in hell I'd be keeping over $5000 in an account with a card which I carry around and use in cash machines.

People really under estimate the power of financial compartmentalization.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

4 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I don't use savings accounts, and I don't understand why anyone would—don't they offer <1%? Some savings accounts also charge monthly fees or for withdrawal.

Having $5000 in a current account seems reasonable; that's 1-2 months of expenses.

Being a cybercrime is not really relevant. If someone stole the $5000 out of your wallet at gunpoint they would have given you the exact same response.

Police don't investigate ANY crime unless it's a high profile media case or it involves one of their own. 

4 minutes ago, Hrrs said:

I don't use savings accounts, and I don't understand why anyone would—don't they offer <1%? Some savings accounts also charge monthly fees or for withdrawal.

Well, the reason I use them is exactly what I've described - at any one time the amount of money accessible using my card is quite small, so there's less to potentially be stolen. The interest paid will be more than a current account, even if it is rather small.

In the UK, banks generally offer basic savings accounts which have no monthly charge and unlimited withdrawals. If you have a savings account with the same bank as your current account, you can transfer money between them electronically in less than a minute.

Just to be clear: I'm not trying to blame you for your money being stolen, just suggest some things you could do which might reduce the chance of it happening again.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 hours ago, Hybris5112 said:

People really under estimate the power of financial compartmentalization.

Yup! There's no reason not to compartmentalize when most credit unions let you open all the free checking accounts you want. Even if you keep all your money at one banking institution, there's no reason to expose the direct deposit checking account to PayPal or your utilities.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.