Adding Ram sticks to MOBO, Same manufacturer and CL, different timing

StagsFury66

I was thinking about purchasing new sticks of G.Skill Trident Z Neo ram with tighter timings but I hate to pull out current Ram sticks and just store them in my closet with other excess PC components. Are there any issues with populating extra Ram slots with old sticks if everything else is the same except for the timings being slightly different? I like the idea of having every slot occupied by same Ram for symmetry and aesthetics.My current RAM has timings of 16-19-19-39 and new kit would be 16-16-16-36

There's a slight chance it won't work, but most likely it will. In any case, if you mix different sticks, your RAM will work at the lowest common speed/highest common latency, negating your reason for buying tighter timings in the first place.

You can always try overclocking the sticks. But if your old sticks can run at the tighter timing, you've essentially lost the reason to upgrade in the first place. Aside from that, you're very unlikely to notice a difference between 16-19-19-39 and 16-16-16-36 in anything other than benchmark numbers.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

20 hours ago, --SID-- said:

What's your CPU and motherboard?

I've got a Ryzen 7 5800X and I'm using a Tuf Gaming x570 Wifi.

20 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

There's a slight chance it won't work, but most likely it will. In any case, if you mix different sticks, your RAM will work at the lowest common speed/highest common latency, negating your reason for buying tighter timings in the first place.

You can always try overclocking the sticks. But if your old sticks can run at the tighter timing, you've essentially lost the reason to upgrade in the first place. Aside from that, you're very unlikely to notice a difference between 16-19-19-39 and 16-16-16-36 in anything other than benchmark numbers.

I'll have to double check the BIOS to see what the timings are on what I'm currently using. For some reason i remember seeing looser timings than 16-19-19-39 when I was last in the BIOS

20 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

I think I'll just stick with 2 sticks for now. I ran CPU-Z and for some reason it was showing a CL of 26? I went back into BIOS and I'm not sure how but my DOCP profile was disabled, once I turned that back on the CL went back to 16-16-16-36. I was worried that since I bought the ram i'm using as an open box return from Micro Center there was something wrong with them and it turns out maybe I just overlooked the DOCP profile the last time I was messing around in the BIOS.

No need for more ram then LOL I kinda wish G.Skill would do what Corsair is doing and offer blank Ram sticks to fill up all the slots.