Disguisted by CyberPower

Ravendarat

So last winter my friends son wanted a desktop and of course there were no GPU to be found anywhere so he just went the prebuilt route. He got a 5800x cpu and a EVGA 3080, cost him about 2400 CAD. Not horrible at the time for all things considered. He told me today he was having issues with overheating and he was wondering if he needed more fans. I asked him why he thought it was overheating and he said he was dropping frames really badly in game, like Modern Warefare on medium settings was dropping to sub 10 fps. Ok well I told him fans arent gonna fix that, there is something else happening but I asked how many fans he had in the system. Ready for this everyone, he has 1 fan. Cyberpower shipped a system with a 5800x and an EVGA 3080 with 1 god damn fan attached to a 120mm aio, and thats it. No other case fans of any kind and a 120mm AIO for that CPU. I was stunned. Hes dropping the system off with me in the morning so I can put some fans in this thing and figure out why the cpu is running so hot (sitting on the desktop its almost 80 degrees. But needless to say I am super unimpressed with what I have seen so far.

It's stuff like this that make me avoid prebuilts even when it would be faster than piecing together a new rig. I always wind up having to change too many things or compromise on parts to make it worthwhile.

With the AIO running so hot I would be looking to see if the pump is even running. If they underspec-ed the cooler maybe its been running this entire time at absolute full throttle and finally burned out.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

Did he build this PC with CyberPower's website? You configure everything yourself including fans and how many and what cooling solution. If you touch nothing in the configurator it just says "default case fans" and this AIO. I'd be curious if he configured the system in this way or if it was pre-configured for him. 

image.png.f9f72f3d1cba1ed844c093b147aecb4f.png

Cyberpower has always had suspect configs. I bought from them in 2012-ish and ended up with one rad fan and one case fan, and they removed the hot swap bay that came by default with the case I bought. I wouldn't have used it because hot swap bays were a gimmick that almost nobody needed, but removing it is scummy. When you take a look at the computer, also look at the CPU vcore. I don't know if they still do this, but they used to set the vcore way too high to be sure the CPU would run, temps be damned.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

5 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Ugh.

That build is in need of some thicc fans.

PrNXbUx.png

I won't lie that one of my PC bucket lists is to have a rig that has nothing but these fans for cooling. The biggest issue is controlling a dozen fans that I believe draw 5 amps each.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

Ok so I got this thing into my place today, his config was the default one listed, he just clicked on a computer that had a 3080 in it and bought it. So if they are selling a computer that is default to have no case fans with a 3080 in it than I am still putting that on CP as you cant assume a customer is going to know that the config you list on the site in inadequate for cooling the components you include in the build. But as far as the system itself goes, the thermal paste had horrible coverage and the aforementioned missing case fans. Besides that I didnt see any other issues in particular in regards to hardware performance. The thumb screws that hold the front glass on were cross threaded and not done up tight and the back panel had thumb screws that were dented in, likely from shipping so thats unfortunate too but not performance hindering. The wire management was quite good. So after fixing those hardware issues I still had overheating issues but drilled it down to being a malware/virus issue that was doing something to pin the cpu utilization but then would stop hitting it as soon as task manager was opened, very weird. Either way after a couple attempts to find and remove it I couldnt so I just wiped the boot drive, clean install of windows and the computer ran great again.

Yeah thats pretty jacked up being 1 fan only and flowing through a radiator.  Thats insane.  The 3080 pushes some decent heat and although the 5800x is pretty efficent thats not going to cut it.   

Its crazy thats even an option.

What System does he have? Maybe there are better AIO's that fit inside, that are more suitable for the CPU.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, darknessblade said:

What System does he have? Maybe there are better AIO's that fit inside, that are more suitable for the CPU.

Oh there 100% are better options, He can mount a 240 at the top or a 360 at the front, he might even be able to mount a 280 at the top but the memory makes the clearance questionable. My point was that the SI shouldnt be shipping that chip with a 120mm aio, but maybe Im just expecting to much because I know better, just like 99% of the people on these forums know better that a 120mm AIO on a 5800x is not suitable

2 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Oh there 100% are better options, He can mount a 240 at the top or a 360 at the front, he might even be able to mount a 280 at the top but the memory makes the clearance questionable. My point was that the SI shouldnt be shipping that chip with a 120mm aio, but maybe Im just expecting to much because I know better, just like 99% of the people on these forums know better that a 120mm AIO on a 5800x is not suitable

On one hand, you're right, on the other, the configurator gives the user that choice to configure the cooling system in any way they want as I described above. In fact the default option is exactly what he received. 

7 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

On one hand, you're right, on the other, the configurator gives the user that choice to configure the cooling system in any way they want as I described above. In fact the default option is exactly what he received. 

Oh I definitely get that, my frustration is the default config is a bad config, If I was the company I would be setting a better config with a slightly higher price tag and make the customer take components out as opposed to assume they have the knowledge needed to add in more than what they company sets as default. But I certainly see your point