New Home network system

OogaBoogaWooga

G'day, havin trouble figuring this out cause I aint network tech savy, hopin someone here can give us a hand. Trying to make a functional starter setup, probably won't go balls to the wall cause the internet here in Australia is cooked.

Got a modem provided by my local provider, an Asus Gt11000 router and a Asus Xt4 mini mesh system. From what I understand I just need a decent switch and a shit tone of ethernet cable to get a setup goin yeah?

9 minutes ago, OogaBoogaWooga said:

G'day, havin trouble figuring this out cause I aint network tech savy, hopin someone here can give us a hand. Trying to make a functional starter setup, probably won't go balls to the wall cause the internet here in Australia is cooked.

Got a modem provided by my local provider, an Asus Gt11000 router and a Asus Xt4 mini mesh system. From what I understand I just need a decent switch and a shit tone of ethernet cable to get a setup goin yeah?

I am not familiar with the Xt4, but it may not need to be wired into the main router depending if Asus has a wireless backhaul which would connect them all up... the idea of mesh is they don't need wires ran to each point, but if they are not made to work with the Gt11000, you may need to wire one of them in at least. Although, reading into it real quick, it looks like the Xt4 IS a router already, so you don't need the Gt11000. If you put the mesh system behind the router, you would be double natted which is not ideal.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Well both units have AiMesh so you should be able to make one big mesh network with the two systems. How much area are you trying to cover? As Ligistx mentioned both units are routers so you only need one or the other unless you need a really big area to cover.

17 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I am not familiar with the Xt4, but it may not need to be wired into the main router depending if Asus has a wireless backhaul which would connect them all up... the idea of mesh is they don't need wires ran to each point, but if they are not made to work with the Gt11000, you may need to wire one of them in at least. Although, reading into it real quick, it looks like the Xt4 IS a router already, so you don't need the Gt11000. If you put the mesh system behind the router, you would be double natted which is not ideal.

Planned to use the GT11000 as a dedicated router for my computer and the mesh for the main wifi over the house. Even then I've got no clue how to configure them lol, tried too and the entire system shit itself and had to reset it 

My modem is also a router so I put it into bridge mode and had an ethernet line run from it to my gt11000. I configured the gt11000 to be an access point and the had the xt4 mesh as my wifi network (had the main unit connected to the bridged modem via ethernet)

Needless to say everything died and so did my soul. 

3 minutes ago, OogaBoogaWooga said:

Planned to use the GT11000 as a dedicated router for my computer and the mesh for the main wifi over the house. Even then I've got no clue how to configure them lol, tried too and the entire system shit itself and had to reset it 

My modem is also a router so I put it into bridge mode and had an ethernet line run from it to my gt11000. I configured the gt11000 to be an access point and the had the xt4 mesh as my wifi network (had the main unit connected to the bridged modem via ethernet)

Needless to say everything died and so did my soul. 

Did you try using Asus' Aimesh system instead? Set the gt11000 as the router and the Xt4 as the nodes?

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/

7 minutes ago, Zomeguy said:

Did you try using Asus' Aimesh system instead? Set the gt11000 as the router and the Xt4 as the nodes?

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/

As you can see by my super detailed and totally logical sketch, this is what I intended with a switch in there 

Screenshot_20220415-004956_Samsung Notes.jpg

23 minutes ago, OogaBoogaWooga said:

Do you mean as an AImesh node or as an Access point Ai mesh router mode.

Made a bit of a better sketch at what I intended to have. Should also mention I did put the modem into bridged mode and the gt11000 into AP mode and it did not like it. Could not access the ISP or ASUS router settings page for both devices and the GT11000 would not connect to the internet.

Screenshot_20220415-010620_Samsung Notes.jpg

Well the ISP model is in bridge mode then you need to have the gt11000 in router mode. If it's in AP mode it will never work.

From what I understand you're trying to do you should leave the ISP mode in bridge mode, switch the gt11000 to router mode. Setup Asus' AImesh network with Xt4 as nodes to the gt11000. The switch you can connect to the gt11000 to connect those devices you want connected wired.

6 minutes ago, Zomeguy said:

Well the ISP model is in bridge mode then you need to have the gt11000 in router mode. If it's in AP mode it will never work.

From what I understand you're trying to do you should leave the ISP mode in bridge mode, switch the gt11000 to router mode. Setup Asus' AImesh network with Xt4 as nodes to the gt11000. The switch you can connect to the gt11000 to connect those devices you want connected wired.

I'll give that a shot, thanks mate I appreciate it. Not tech savy with this stuff in the slightest 

9 hours ago, OogaBoogaWooga said:

I'll give that a shot, thanks mate I appreciate it. Not tech savy with this stuff in the slightest 

You don’t want/can’t have multiple routers going in the way you proposed. You could make it work… but there is no point. Having a router specifically for your PC just makes things extra complex with literally 0 benefit at all.

Get everything working with just the nice router, and if you need more Wifi coverage figure out how to use the asus mesh stuff and add the xt4’s as mesh nodes. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

8 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

You don’t want/can’t have multiple routers going in the way you proposed. You could make it work… but there is no point. Having a router specifically for your PC just makes things extra complex with literally 0 benefit at all.

Get everything working with just the nice router, and if you need more Wifi coverage figure out how to use the asus mesh stuff and add the xt4’s as mesh nodes. 

So modem (bridged) to router to switch and from switch to all the other devices?

And if I need the mesh network, ass the xt4 as nodes

Just now, OogaBoogaWooga said:

So modem (bridged) to router to switch and from switch to all the other devices?

And if I need the mesh network, ass the xt4 as nodes

Yup. The router has a switch built in as well, so if you need more devices then the 4 ports on the router throw a switch in. You can connect things to the router directly or to the switch you add, or both. 

@OogaBoogaWooga

What are you trying to achieve here?

Either of these products should be good performers on their own. How big of a space are you trying to cover with WiFi? What are the walls made of? Don't the XT4 units have ethernet ports on them?

The primary XT4 unit acts as a router while it communicates with the other nodes over a separate wireless antenna. However, you can give them a wired backhaul over ethernet essentially creating a distributed AP setup, which can still work through AiMesh.