Network help

Phantomcorgi94
Go to solution Solved by Jarsky,

If its up to 100Mbps, then I assume its VDSL2. For this kind of setup I used to use a Draytek Vigor 130 here in NZ.

The modem router has a single ethernet port and is suitable for servicing a 3rd part router (i.e pfSense), it also is extremely good at supporting 17A VDSL2 vectoring and supports both line cards used in the Alcatel Lucent ISAM's used in NZ & AUS networks (I cant remember what brands they are but 1 card works up to around 70-80Mbit, and the other works up to 150Mbit) using specific firmware provided by Draytek themselves. 

Hi all 

My home internet comes via telephone cable (Australia lol) at 100 mbps I have a pfsense router but am wondering is there a little bridge that will act as a modem and bridge the telephone connection to the pfsense router

using My normal modem in bridge mode didn’t work as pfsense wouldn’t detect the ip

pls help

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3400G @ 3.1 GHZ, RAM: Teamgroup elite 12gb DDR4 @3200mhz, MOBO: GA-A320M-S2H v1, GPU: Gigabyte Rtx 3060 OC 12 GB, CASE: Old Antec one i found, PSU: CV750 Corsair

7 minutes ago, Phantomcorgi94 said:

Hi all 

My home internet comes via telephone cable (Australia lol) at 100 mbps I have a pfsense router but am wondering is there a little bridge that will act as a modem and bridge the telephone connection to the pfsense router

using My normal modem in bridge mode didn’t work as pfsense wouldn’t detect the ip

pls help

What does the telephone cable plug into? Are you sure it's telephone? What service is it? Adsl? 

3 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

What does the telephone cable plug into? Are you sure it's telephone? What service is it? Adsl? 

Yes it is asdl from a rj11 port connected by fibre to the node

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3400G @ 3.1 GHZ, RAM: Teamgroup elite 12gb DDR4 @3200mhz, MOBO: GA-A320M-S2H v1, GPU: Gigabyte Rtx 3060 OC 12 GB, CASE: Old Antec one i found, PSU: CV750 Corsair

1 hour ago, Phantomcorgi94 said:

Yes it is asdl from a rj11 port connected by fibre to the node

What we need to know is what hardware do you have now that's bridging the gap between the phone jack on your wall and your computers. 

If its up to 100Mbps, then I assume its VDSL2. For this kind of setup I used to use a Draytek Vigor 130 here in NZ.

The modem router has a single ethernet port and is suitable for servicing a 3rd part router (i.e pfSense), it also is extremely good at supporting 17A VDSL2 vectoring and supports both line cards used in the Alcatel Lucent ISAM's used in NZ & AUS networks (I cant remember what brands they are but 1 card works up to around 70-80Mbit, and the other works up to 150Mbit) using specific firmware provided by Draytek themselves. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

What we need to know is what hardware do you have now that's bridging the gap between the phone jack on your wall and your computers. 

Haha you read my mind. This is what I was working towards... 😉

Could you explain what you hope to achieve with this?

There is at least one PCIe card with an xDSL modem that is supported by PFSense. It's called the VigorNIC 132 and is from DrayTek. But it's typically not recommended.

On 4/9/2022 at 10:02 PM, Phantomcorgi94 said:

Is the ISP using PPPoE? Ive seen that used on many xDSL connections. It generally means you have a username and password that needs to be inputed in to the router for it to pull a IP. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I am assuming it is a FTTC connection you have. In which case the underlying tech is VDSL. However the NBN Co has outlined plans to move this to G.Fast or XG.Fast in the future which may impact your compatibility. 

For further info:
https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/network-technology/fibre-to-the-curb-explained-fttc
https://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/the-nbn-project/what-is-fttc-our-latest-network-technology

Your NCD (Network Connection Device - terminology the NBN use for the device that works as your "modem") is designed to work with various routers. 
You should be able to connect it in the manner you are suggesting: Line from wall --> NCD --> PFSense Box. I suspect it is down to a config that needs to be changed. 
I haven't used PFSense so I can't provide any advice there. 

However for a brief period I had a FTTC connection and was able to connect it to two different Netgear routers. There was no issue in picking up an IP address from the NCD. 

On 4/12/2022 at 10:13 AM, DogKnight said:

I am assuming it is a FTTC connection you have. In which case the underlying tech is VDSL. However the NBN Co has outlined plans to move this to G.Fast or XG.Fast in the future which may impact your compatibility. 

For further info:
https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/network-technology/fibre-to-the-curb-explained-fttc
https://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/the-nbn-project/what-is-fttc-our-latest-network-technology

Your NCD (Network Connection Device - terminology the NBN use for the device that works as your "modem") is designed to work with various routers. 
You should be able to connect it in the manner you are suggesting: Line from wall --> NCD --> PFSense Box. I suspect it is down to a config that needs to be changed. 
I haven't used PFSense so I can't provide any advice there. 

However for a brief period I had a FTTC connection and was able to connect it to two different Netgear routers. There was no issue in picking up an IP address from the NCD. 

it is definitly Fibre to the node

nbn.png

On 4/10/2022 at 11:39 AM, GuiltySpark_ said:

i had a technicolour v2 tg something as a bridge but it wasnt working and i didnt know how to change the settings

like did i have to set a static lease on an ip or what

i had some credentials in pppoe section of the modem before i put it in bridge mode. the problem was i dont know the password for the pppoe

then i have a dell optiplex 745 with a pentium 4 with 2 gigabit ethernet cards a gt 710 and 8gb of ram (and the intergrated ethernet)

On 4/12/2022 at 9:20 AM, Donut417 said:

Is the ISP using PPPoE? Ive seen that used on many xDSL connections. It generally means you have a username and password that needs to be inputed in to the router for it to pull a IP. 

i dont know,

how do i check

5 minutes ago, Phantomcorgi94 said:

i dont know,

how do i check

Check your ISP's website might be a good place. When you placed the modem in to bridge mode you might have deleted the settings. If not you might be able to see if it shows up in the WAN settings on the modem. OR you could ask your ISP directly. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Check your ISP's website might be a good place. When you placed the modem in to bridge mode you might have deleted the settings. If not you might be able to see if it shows up in the WAN settings on the modem. OR you could ask your ISP directly. 

They are sending us another tp link router so ill ring them when that get heres

• 2 weeks later...

i got the new router.

ax5400 is what it is

Connecting it to the pfsense router via ethernet nothing works 

no internet from pfsense 

no admin panel access pls help