what hdr mode should i pick

Cerberrus27
Go to solution Solved by iajadsfa,
3 minutes ago, Cerberrus27 said:

Gameing not really playing anything crazy right now mostly. League of legends valorant stuff like that. 

seems like valorant does have HDR, however, its up to you to decide if the downsides are worth it. SDR will look worse and performance may suffer. Auto HDR is worth a try if you really want it but start by making sure that you are already getting as much as you can in sdr. Nvidia control panel can sometimes set your color depth to lower than your monitor supports. Check those first since they can make a much bigger difference than any HDR

Hey guys just noticed I have a gaming hdr and a cinema hdr mode. I was just wondering what you guys think I should pick

ASUS 27" QHD 165Hz IPS LED G-Sync Gaming Monitor (VG27AQ)

Off. That monitor can only read HDR signals, it can't actually display them (only 350 nits). If you actually want HDR, you want an HDR600 at least, preferably HDR1000. Any improvements in image quality purely come an HDR master being better than the SDR, which is rarely the case. It's usually about as good or worse in my experience. 

You can play around with those settings, but with how bad Windows handles HDR and how that monitor isn't really HDR, I wouldn't bother.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Off. That monitor can only read HDR signals, it can't actually display them (only 350 nits). If you actually want HDR, you want an HDR600 at least, preferably HDR1000. Any improvements in image quality purely come an HDR master being better than the SDR, which is rarely the case. It's usually about as good or worse in my experience. 

You can play around with those settings, but with how bad Windows handles HDR and how that monitor isn't really HDR, I wouldn't bother.

Right now I have the gaming one on but you just think I should leave it off not even do the cinama option? 

2 minutes ago, Cerberrus27 said:

Right now I have the gaming one on but you just think I should leave it off not even do the cinama option? 

You can try each of them, but it's probably best to just leave it off.

What is your usecase? HDR in games can vary from not much penalty to severe 20-30 fps penalties. HDR mode will also mess with SDR content. It really depends on what you are doing. For me, I use HDR for games like War Thunder which looks better even on my HDR 10 monitor. However, Cyberpunk 2077 looks almost worse while taking 20fps penalty.

2 minutes ago, iajadsfa said:

What is your usecase? HDR in games can vary from not much penalty to severe 20-30 fps penalties. HDR mode will also mess with SDR content. It really depends on what you are doing. For me, I use HDR for games like War Thunder which looks better even on my HDR 10 monitor. However, Cyberpunk 2077 looks almost worse while taking 20fps penalty.

Gameing not really playing anything crazy right now mostly. League of legends valorant stuff like that. 

seems like valorant does have HDR, however, its up to you to decide if the downsides are worth it. SDR will look worse and performance may suffer. Auto HDR is worth a try if you really want it but start by making sure that you are already getting as much as you can in sdr. Nvidia control panel can sometimes set your color depth to lower than your monitor supports. Check those first since they can make a much bigger difference than any HDR