Custom NAS OS Recommendations

kabs1162

Hey all. I am working on building a nas. I do a lot of video editing and I have about 8 drives sitting around and figured I'd learn about it before investing more into it.

I was going to do TrueNas but since my drives aren't the exact same, I guess I couldn't do it?

I setup an unraid configuration which was great for writing files to it but not editing off of. I was getting around 1Gb/s on write and then 150mb/s on read. I have all 10gbe ports

Are there other OS alternatives that would be good for my use case? Worst case I use unraid and just have it for long term storage but I would love to be able to edit off of it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What drives do you have? 

normally id suggest editing off a local ssd as it will be much faster than any nas here, then copying finished projects to the nas. Then Id use unraid as performance will matter much less.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What drives do you have? 

normally id suggest editing off a local ssd as it will be much faster than any nas here, then copying finished projects to the nas. Then Id use unraid as performance will matter much less.

Yeah so I have an 8TB SSD but I have projects (like a youtube channel) that has files for the last year and Id rather just edit off of the nas vs transferring the files I need if the client wants me to do a throwback or whatever.

2 minutes ago, kabs1162 said:

Yeah so I have an 8TB SSD but I have projects (like a youtube channel) that has files for the last year and Id rather just edit off of the nas vs transferring the files I need if the client wants me to do a throwback or whatever.

You can still edit from and copy the filees from the nas, it will just be a bit slower. For most h.264/h.265 workflows the unraid performance will be fine for pulling files from old projects. 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can still edit from and copy the filees from the nas, it will just be a bit slower. For most h.264/h.265 workflows the unraid performance will be fine for pulling files from old projects. 

Yeah its not that kind of workflow. Usually 10 bit or raw. And I have so many projects going on at once that the 8tb is always full. I tried the copying files occasionally and it just wasnt Ideal. Ive done this on a synology where I was able to edit right off of it no problem. I'm just trying to figure it out on my own system.

1 hour ago, kabs1162 said:

Yeah its not that kind of workflow. Usually 10 bit or raw. And I have so many projects going on at once that the 8tb is always full. I tried the copying files occasionally and it just wasnt Ideal. Ive done this on a synology where I was able to edit right off of it no problem. I'm just trying to figure it out on my own system.

What drives do you have? How many tb do you need? What bitrate is the footage are you working with?

Id try to go with truenas here, and get simmilar sized drives if you can.

How many systems are you editing from? If its just one system id add the storage internally.