New pc configuration for truenas

Hi, 

I am looking for a new pc / server for truenas. 

Standard expectation from truenas

1. Data storage in zfs

2. Docker deployments in truenas scale

3. (not high priority) deploy some vms. (I prefer a separate server with esxi, but just some times.)

Current shortlisted items

1. Msi Z590 M pro with 6 sata (updated) 

2. Intel i7 11700K

3. 64 GB ram

4. Ironwolf 4tb * 6 qty

5. 250gb M.2 for OS

Small size hdd with more qty helps in replacement cost and future expansion.

6 qty of 4 tb vs 4 qty of 6tb

Net storage is 1 disk goes for parity, meaning I get approx 5 disk capacity in first config compared to only 3 disk capacity in second config. 

Need suggestion for alternative motherboard and processor, a little cheaper but better. 

Edit : updated motherboard from gaming edge to M pro

24 minutes ago, Tumstech said:

Hi, 

I am looking for a new pc / server for truenas. 

Standard expectation from truenas

1. Data storage in zfs

2. Docker deployments in truenas scale

3. (not high priority) deploy some vms. (I prefer a separate server with esxi, but just some times.)

Current shortlisted items

1. Msi Z590 gaming edge with 6 sata

2. Intel i7 11700K

3. 64 GB ram

4. Ironwolf 4tb * 6 qty

5. 250gb M.2 for OS

Small size hdd with more qty helps in replacement cost and future expansion.

6 qty of 4 tb vs 4 qty of 6tb

Net storage is 1 disk goes for parity, meaning I get approx 5 disk capacity in first config compared to only 3 disk capacity in second config. 

Need suggestion for alternative motherboard and processor, a little cheaper but better. 

I wouldn't buy a gaming motherboard for this. nor a "K" processor, as you're not going to overclock it. 
motherboards with two NICs are nice for a case like this, but features like LEDs and WiFi aren't really worth the money. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

17 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

I wouldn't buy a gaming motherboard for this. nor a "K" processor, as you're not going to overclock it. 
motherboards with two NICs are nice for a case like this, but features like LEDs and WiFi aren't really worth the money. 

Thanks for this tip on MB. It makes sense, but this was one of the MB that I found with 6 SATA. WIFI and LEDs are non essentials. I can drop the K as well in the processor. I didn't see much price difference, so why not..

What is your suggestion on MB and CPU for this kind of requirements..?

EDIT : Alternative to GAMING EDGE : Z590M PRO https://www.microcenter.com/product/634676/msi-z590-mag-pro-wifi-intel-lga-1200-atx-motherboard

Is this a good one..?

On 4/8/2022 at 3:36 AM, Tumstech said:

Thanks for this tip on MB. It makes sense, but this was one of the MB that I found with 6 SATA. WIFI and LEDs are non essentials. I can drop the K as well in the processor. I didn't see much price difference, so why not..

You can always add a LSI HBA card to get more SATA ports. That will generally get you 8 more at a time. I mention a couple options in this post   

Not that it may necessarily change your decision anyways. I know I always lean towards nicer stuff anyways, especially when it's not much more.  Just throwing it out there as another option.

Becareful on your M.2 OS drive selection, if you get a SATA based one it may disable one of your SATA ports for your HDs. Since you are currently thinking of fully populating a board. (Which maybe another reason to look into a add on card)

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

You can always add a LSI HAB card to get more SATA ports. That will generally get you 8 more at a time. I mention a couple options in this post   

Not that it may necessarily change your decision anyways. I know I always lean towards nicer stuff anyways, especially when it's not much more.  Just throwing it out there as another option.

Becareful on your M.2 OS drive selection, if you get a SATA based one it may disable one of your SATA ports for your HDs. Since you are currently thinking of fully populating a board. (Which maybe another reason to look into a add on card)

Thanks for the tip on M.2

Z590 motherboard has a dedicated M.2 slot if the cpu is 11th gen. Which means it doesn't take away any other sata port. Phew thanks for that with Z590 and 11th gen Intel cpu. 

Regarding hba, I wanted to avoid any add on cards. Eventually it is gonna cost the difference in savings, and also, 6 sata is good enough for me now.