AV1 recording

StephanTW

so with OBS recently adding support for 2 styles of AV1 recording (SVT and AOM), i went diggin into what it was and who can encode it.
And i found that there is a bunch of commercial providers, but that potentially only the new ARC gpu's from Intel have encoding available.
So my question is is that really the only "available" GPU that has AV1 encoding?
And if not are there any data on how well other GPU's encode the AV1 standard.

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

3 minutes ago, StephanTW said:

so with OBS recently adding support for 2 styles of AV1 recording (SVT and AOM), i went diggin into what it was and who can encode it.
And i found that there is a bunch of commercial providers, but that potentially only the new ARC gpu's from Intel have encoding available.
So my question is is that really the only "available" GPU that has AV1 encoding?
And if not are there any data on how well other GPU's encode the AV1 standard.

The Intel ARC will be the first commercially available GPU with HW accelerated encoding. 

Currently you can only use CPU for SW based encoding which is extremely slow and not suited for real time encoding even with the most powerful CPUs at settings that make sense. 

SVT has better quality because of bigger compression but is also quite a bit more demanding than AOM at least from what I tried months back. 

Also check this for more info 

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The Intel ARC will be the first commercially available GPU with HW accelerated encoding. 

Currently you can only use CPU for SW based encoding which is extremely slow and not suited for real time encoding even with the most powerful CPUs at settings that make sense. 

SVT has better quality because of bigger compression but is also quite a bit more demanding than AOM at least from what I tried months back. 

Also check this for more info 

well here is hoping new gen amd and nvidea will also have it.

I tried using my CPU for a test recording but it just came out without video, i must be missing something to have the CPU actually render.

Yeah did find that video prior but it was mostly just about the av1 standard and how people are adopting it as oppose to what can drive it.

certainly hope that when new gen amd and nvidea GPU's come out with AV1 encoding support there will be a comparison, seeing as most streaming sites are now in the planning to allow AV1 as input. be intersting if amd can pull ahead or equal this time around

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

1 minute ago, StephanTW said:

well here is hoping new gen amd and nvidea will also have it.

I tried using my CPU for a test recording but it just came out without video, i must be missing something to have the CPU actually render.

Yeah did find that video prior but it was mostly just about the av1 standard and how people are adopting it as oppose to what can drive it.

certainly hope that when new gen amd and nvidea GPU's come out with AV1 encoding support there will be a comparison, seeing as most streaming sites are now in the planning to allow AV1 as input. be intersting if amd can pull ahead or equal this time around

I was expecting that both the RTX 3000 series and RDNA2 will have AV1 encode but I was disappointed when they only announced decode. 

At least now they are somewhat forced to work on that since I'm expecting that ARC will sell like hot cakes just for AV1 encode alone. 

Just now, WereCat said:

At least now they are somewhat forced to work on that since I'm expecting that ARC will sell like hot cakes just for AV1 encode alone. 

now here is hoping that the limited edition just mean limited from intel supply only and the rest is made by boardpartners XD

Psu Corsair AX1200i