USB 3.2-G2, DisplayPort Bottleneck?

Max1996LTT

A mini-PC I've become interested in has this USB-C 10Gb port on the back of it.

image.thumb.png.74929f171929fc94e49957ab4b021cff.png

While it also serves as a DisplayPort-out, I can't help but wonder, would the DP bandwidth be limited to the port's 10 Gb/s speed?

It should not. DP-Alt Mode shares the same physical port between USB and DP, but it is using the DP protocol, rather than the USB protocol. As such you should be limited to the bandwidth of the DP version, rather than the USB version.

Unless you're planning to use this machine for high-res, high-refresh rate gaming, even 10 Gbps is probably a non-concern. I doubt the machine has the performance for it anyway. 3840 x 2160 x 8 bpc @ 60 Hz is 12.54 Gbit/s, but anything below that should work. If you reduce color depth and/or it supports DSC you could probably even use 4K.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

11 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yes. Actually, it should not. Unless you're planning to use this machine for high-res, high-refresh rate gaming, this is probably a non-concern. I doubt the machine has the performance for it anyway.

3840 x 2160 x 8 bpc @ 60 Hz is 12.54 Gbit/s, but anything below that should work. If you reduce color depth and/or it supports DSC you could probably even use 4K.

~edit: To clarify: DP-Alt Mode should be limited by the bandwidth of the DP version, not the version of USB. It shares the same physical port, but isn't the same protocol.

The monitor I'm currently using is 1440p 75Hz. While I don't know about the bpc of it, I feel like it should work on paper.

1 minute ago, Max1996LTT said:

The monitor I'm currently using is 1440p 75Hz. While I don't know about the bpc of it, I feel like it should work on paper.

2560x1440 @ 75 Hz should be 7.09 Gbit/s. I've updated my answer above to be more accurate.

8 bpc (also known as 32 bit or 24 bit color depth) is the default (16.7M colors). Unless you have a monitor with HDR or advertised as having 10 bit per color, you're unlikely to use anything else.

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

2560x1440 @ 75 Hz should be 7.09 Gbit/s. I've updated my answer above to be more accurate.

8 bpc (also known as 32 bit or 24 bit color depth) is the default (16.7M colors). Unless you have a monitor with HDR or advertised as having 10 bit per color, you're unlikely to use anything else.

Would 1440p ultrawide (21:9) work, you think?

10 minutes ago, Max1996LTT said:

Would 1440p ultrawide (21:9) work, you think?

That's 3440 x 1440, right? At 75 Hz that would be 9.45 Gbit/s. I've updated my first post, you're unlikely to be limited to 10 Gbps. However, I doubt the machine has the performance to use such a monitor for anything other than desktop use. The performance requirements for gaming on that resolution are quite high. 1440p 21:9 is more than double the pixels compared to 1080p.

You can use the forum's calculator to determine bandwidth requirements for any resolution and refresh rate you want.

8 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's 3440 x 1440, right? At 75 Hz that would be 9.45 Gbit/s. I've updated my first post, you're unlikely to be limited to 10 Gbps. However, I doubt the machine has the performance to use such a monitor for anything other than desktop use. The performance requirements for gaming on that resolution are quite high. 1440p 21:9 is more than double the pixels compared to 1080p.

You can use the forum's calculator to determine bandwidth requirements for any resolution and refresh rate you want.

The only game I occasionally play is Roblox. From what I've found elsewhere online, it doesn't seem too demanding.