Making a monitor

PraySstation

Hello everyone, so I have an old, broken Laptop, but really want to keep the display and use it as a monitor. But unfortunatly I am an absolute beginner, so I need some help. The information on the display are: 14"; QHD;聽IGZO-Touchscreen. The two connectors I can see are on the pictures, together with the WLAN card, if this is of interest... I do not need the Touchscreen, so if it would make it easier, it麓s enough to just have a monitor.If you need any more Information just ask. Thanks 馃檪

20220404_113110[166].jpg

20220404_113547[164].jpg

20220404_113633[167].jpg

20220404_113713[165].jpg

Hi, that actually helped a bit. But I still have some questions... So after the video it seems like I have to get the display out of its cover, but I dont really know how. There are no screws, if I had to guess it is somehow glued into there... Could you tell me how I can get it out wihout damaging the panel? Here are also pictures from the front and back. @SimplyChunk

20220404_142837[172].jpg

20220404_142932[173].jpg

Yep it'll typically be glued in with adhesive tape, might be able to release it by heating with a heat gun and using a suction cup to pull carefully. Of course there's quite some risk of damaging the panel.

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

The thing is that:

- You need to know the exact panel model, the best way is to look at the markings on it. Maybe you could find that information somewhere else.

- The display cable is usually custom and specific to a laptop model, so a controller board you'd find that's compatible with that panel would likely need to be connected straight to the panel and not to the cable that sticks out.聽

IF you could find the panel model and an appropriate cable then you could leave it as is, but it's pretty unlikely you will.

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

try find a "Service Manual" or parts lists file for your laptop. preferably one that isnt ment for customers but repair centers. They may contain all the part numbers for the parts that make up your laptop. If you have any serial numbers or product numbers, it may help find the exact parts used.

Maybe the laptop manufacturer used a few variations for the display, but it might be enough to know the resolution. some Universal controllers (like the ones that use a LUA63A82) can be updated with a usb stick, you pick the right "firmware" from a large selection and use the usb to get the controller to set it self up for that particular resolution.
If you are unable to open the display (like you appear to be) you might be able to use a "generic" config or some config that appears to be the same resolution (one of the AE sellers said to me, and others to just try another if the screen doenst look right)

For the pinout, even if your unable to find the right display, the service manual might contain the laptop schematics, and hopefully also either the pinout of the connector but atleast the signals and the pin numbers. The white connector looks like it would be the actual LVDS connector (hope its not a newer weird protocol, probably not, lvds is still pretty much used alott) and pin 1 seems to be on the top (you see a mention of 30P and an arrow?) so it would be awesome if you find the service manual and the lvds signals (post your laptop model number and maybe someone already has a service manual)

the black connector might contain the backlight signals, power connector and usb stuff for touch and camera. atleast find the ground and power signals (keep the motherboard arround to measure maybe which should be ground and what probably could be voltage for backlight (probably a line that goes to mosfets, bigger caps and such)

You better have a voltmeter that can do continuity aswell (might be part of the diode mode or resistance mode). with buzzer(sound) might be very helpfull. so, not a powerline finder or big amp meter, a smaller one for electronics.