Random Ping Spikes on New Wifi Adapter

Cosmix

Recently, I purchased this new wifi adapter due to the crappy reception in my room and the old $5 one from Walmart breaking.

Link here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I7QFR10/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep getting these random ridiculous ping spikes. I have a gigabit connection, and the router is a floor beneath me so there's obviously a very thick blockage between my computer and it. I have a gigabit connection and get around 200-300 mbps, not sure if that's even optimal but it's not really my problem considering I don't do much gaming. Whenever I join google meets or play games, everything is loading fine until I get these random lags and freezes every 30 seconds, almost as if they're timed.

I tried the ping -n 500 google.com command to see for myself the latency I was getting:

r/HomeNetworking - Random Ping Spikes on New Wifi Adapter

Part 1

r/HomeNetworking - Random Ping Spikes on New Wifi Adapter

Part 2

It pinged it around 500 times, so I'm not gonna show the full results, but you get the recurring point. For the most part, it's fine and I receive <10ms, but then I get these annoying spikes that cross 2000 ms. I've tried everything, and no other device has this issue. Even from upstairs, my iPhone 12 gets a good ≈400 mbps while connected to the same wifi network, so I don't think there's an issue with congestion or anything either. Back when I was downstairs in the router room, I used an ethernet connection and got 1k up and down. Can I say for certain that my adapter is faulty? I've seen good reviews and with it coming from ASUS I certainly didn't expect this. Perhaps a wi-fi extender would do the trick?

Any help would be appreciated.

I had this issue before and never really nailed down the cause. I went through about 3-4 PCIe network adapters and never fixed it. Ultimately went with ethernet because the adapters would keep burning out and doing exactly this.

You can attempt all software fixes -- DDU and reinstall the drivers, reload windows, etc. Also use something like GlassWire to check that there's nothing sending random large requests on your system.

I would also ensure that the antennae are well-seated on the adapter and even swap them to see if that's causing anything. If they're wired and physically moveable, see if you can place them somewhere else for better results.

If all else fails, running the ethernet yourself will cost about as much as a new adapter and you can pick-up unfinished cat5/6 for cheap.

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 9 5900X, ASUS TUF RTX 4080

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3600MHz, ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

3 hours ago, ajaxburger said:

I had this issue before and never really nailed down the cause. I went through about 3-4 PCIe network adapters and never fixed it. Ultimately went with ethernet because the adapters would keep burning out and doing exactly this.

You can attempt all software fixes -- DDU and reinstall the drivers, reload windows, etc. Also use something like GlassWire to check that there's nothing sending random large requests on your system.

I would also ensure that the antennae are well-seated on the adapter and even swap them to see if that's causing anything. If they're wired and physically moveable, see if you can place them somewhere else for better results.

If all else fails, running the ethernet yourself will cost about as much as a new adapter and you can pick-up unfinished cat5/6 for cheap.

Oh, damn. I was on ethernet before, but I had to move out of my office room because of spacing conflicts and the requirements of other family members. It's a pretty unrealistic option now, too, and I don't think anyone in the house would exactly enjoy having to navigate around a 300 ft ethernet cable. There aren't Moca or ports anywhere near where I am, so the adapter was my only option from the get-go. Thanks for the insight, though. It's like the problem doesn't exist when I try to pinpoint it. Never goes away though. Oh well, guess I'll just have to return this.

image.thumb.png.5bff17164ddd61b07bc4b2350ca87113.png

If it helps, here's my glasswire. Surprising. The network activity appears to be spiking, but I just installed it so perhaps its part of the setup? I'm still kind of lost here, any ideas?