Two Ethernet Ports on New Mobo - Use Both?

ajaxburger

Hey all, recently picked up an ASUS ROG Strix X570E Gaming Wifi II (mouthful, jeez). The board has both a 2.5Gbps and standard gigabit networking.

Is there an effective way to use both and boost performance? Might be a stupid question but this is the first time I've spent REAL money on a motherboard and figure I should try to squeeze each ounce of performance out of it.

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 7 3700X, ASUS Dual RTX 3070 (+OC)

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz, ASRock X570 Pro4 

What network configuration do you have? What speed do you get from your isp? Do you havea. nas or server on the lan?

You probably won't get any benfit from using 2, and if you need to do network setup to truly use both of them. Id just use one port for now

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What network configuration do you have? What speed do you get from your isp? Do you havea. nas or server on the lan?

You probably won't get any benfit from using 2, and if you need to do network setup to truly use both of them. Id just use one port for now

Currently run Cat6 to a gigabit-enabled router. Gigabyte/second from ISP. Plan to setup a NAS in the near future with the old system parts + some.

I would imagine I would see negligible benefits but I'd enjoy tinkering to see if I can improve consistency of the network speed to this device. Is there some kind of networking setup that I can look up to look into this a little farther?

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 7 3700X, ASUS Dual RTX 3070 (+OC)

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz, ASRock X570 Pro4 

12 minutes ago, ajaxburger said:

Currently run Cat6 to a gigabit-enabled router. Gigabyte/second from ISP. Plan to setup a NAS in the near future with the old system parts + some.

I would imagine I would see negligible benefits but I'd enjoy tinkering to see if I can improve consistency of the network speed to this device. Is there some kind of networking setup that I can look up to look into this a little farther?

Id just use a single nic here, you really won't see any benfit from a faster setup.

But you can go 2.5gbe and get a 2.5gbe switch if you want faster speeds to your nas.

On 4/3/2022 at 4:32 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just use a single nic here, you really won't see any benfit from a faster setup.

But you can go 2.5gbe and get a 2.5gbe switch if you want faster speeds to your nas.

Well if they have Gigabit broadband and are accessing the NAS at the same time they WILL throttle each other.  But like you said, the right fix for that would be to put a 2.5Gbit switch after the router and plug both into that.

Its one reason I upgraded to multi-gig as FTTP is coming soon and I didn't want accessing the NAS to slow downloads on the NAS itself.

The second reason being I move files to/from the NAS all the time and didn't want that to impact Plex streaming from the NAS at the same time.

I'd say its definitely worth having at LEAST 2.5Gbit to a NAS, if its half decent even HDDs should come close to that speed for large files.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7