Dangerous Overheat

I've had my computer for almost 2 years now and have replaced my cpu cooler twice, and I may have to do it a third. I had my pc be made by NZXT bld and it worked great for about the first 8 months. I noticed an extreme amount of heat coming from my cpu and had replaced the cooler. The cooler is a Kraken M22. I just recently did my research on this product and noticed several discrepancies in its build. I was wanting to know if there was any other cpu cooler I can use that can combat this heat coming from my I7-9700k cpu. The added file shows the heat at the time of this post, with nothing but google chrome and nzxt cam running in the background. If you have any other questions about my computer and its specs, please ask, I wish to get this problem resolved as quickly and professionally as possible. I appreciate your help in this and hope this can be resolved soon. Thank you. Apologies for not clarifying, but that temperature is in Fahrenheit.

Capture.PNG

Either the sensor is wrong, or you have your temps set to show in CAM Fahrenheit for some reason. Don't do that. 

190 F is still 87 C, which is very hot. 120mm AIO's like the Kraken M22 are pointless unless you're doing a sff build where nothing else will fit.

What are the coolers you used before? What is your case? What is the fan configuration?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

31 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Either the sensor is wrong, or you have your temps set to show in CAM Fahrenheit for some reason. Don't do that. 

190 F is still 87 C, which is very hot. 120mm AIO's like the Kraken M22 are pointless unless you're doing a sff build where nothing else will fit.

What are the coolers you used before? What is your case? What is the fan configuration?

Apologies, that is in Fahrenheit as I find it easier to explain it to my American friends. I have never replaced the coolers with another other than the Kraken M22. The case is an NZXT H510, and I'm a bit unfamiliar with what you mean by fan configuration. If you mean by what it is set to, it is set to performance. As I said, I bought this computer a few years back and want to get it working like it used to. Thanks for the response.

Wild guess here, but perhaps Middcore meant what's your intake/exhaust config for the case as a whole ? How many fans of what size are you using for intake vs pushing air out ? 

Also, I'd agree with him regarding the temps. CPUs of any make aren't supposed to run that hot if you're not putting a serious load on them. Anything going into the 80s might suggest faulty thermal compound application, or that the cooler isn't making the best contact with the CPU. I'm not an expert but even with bog standard coolers things shouldn't go above 60-70 range-ish. 

56 minutes ago, Colt352 said:

Apologies, that is in Fahrenheit as I find it easier to explain it to my American friends. I have never replaced the coolers with another other than the Kraken M22. The case is an NZXT H510, and I'm a bit unfamiliar with what you mean by fan configuration. If you mean by what it is set to, it is set to performance. As I said, I bought this computer a few years back and want to get it working like it used to. Thanks for the response.

Americans make up at least a plurality of the users on this forum and all of us who know anything at all about PC's use Celcius to discuss these things as it is the system used in all official specs, reviews, etc. 

Of course the case is an H510, a noted hotbox.

By fan configuration, I don't mean the fan on the cooler, I mean the fans in the case. How many are there and what size are they? Which ones are intake and which are outtake? I'm going to guess you have only what comes with the H510?

The long and short of it is you're not going to get temps under control until you replace your case and your cooler.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Sending a picture of your computer with the side panel open would answer a lot of the questions we have. I agree with @Middcorethat the M22 is a pointless CPU cooler. You would be better off with any air cooler for cheap than a cheap AIO in my opinion. Something like a Hyper212 will even do better than the M22. 

That being said, 87c basically idle is crazy hot, even with the M22 and 510 case. I'm concerned if the pump isn't running, fans aren't spinning, plastic is still on the CPU cooler cold plate. It could be a ton of things. A picture would help a lot.

9 minutes ago, SavageShow said:

That being said, 87c basically idle is crazy hot, even with the M22 and 510 case. I'm concerned if the pump isn't running, fans aren't spinning, plastic is still on the CPU cooler cold plate. It could be a ton of things. A picture would help a lot.

Yes this is very hot even considering the poor components used, but if he says this is his third M22 I would presume (hope) he's eliminated basic things like that. 

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Yes this is very hot even considering the poor components used, but if he says this is his third M22 I would presume (hope) he's eliminated basic things like that. 

I would hope so too! Very interested in this one.

1 hour ago, SavageShow said:

Sending a picture of your computer with the side panel open would answer a lot of the questions we have. I agree with @Middcorethat the M22 is a pointless CPU cooler. You would be better off with any air cooler for cheap than a cheap AIO in my opinion. Something like a Hyper212 will even do better than the M22. 

My sincere apologies about the long response times, I've been sick lately and have been trying to get some sleep. Here are the photos you requested. The psu is behind that grate if you need that 

20220402_200840.jpg

20220402_200833.jpg

20220402_200827.jpg

All good bud! I hope you feel better soon, don't feel the need to respond right away. 

The fan layout looks good, I'm assuming NZXT put a fan controller in there and the pump is most likely running to that as well. When the system is running, do you hear a buzzing coming from the block on your CPU or is it completely silent?

Just poking around in the dark here to try and find something that could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, SavageShow said:

All good bud! I hope you feel better soon, don't feel the need to respond right away. 

The fan layout looks good, I'm assuming NZXT put a fan controller in there and the pump is most likely running to that as well. When the system is running, do you hear a buzzing coming from the block on your CPU or is it completely silent?

Just poking around in the dark here to try and find something that could be wrong.

Yes, it makes a buzzing noise around the cpu  fan area

That generally is a good thing. @Middcoreis probably right, this might not be such a simple thing.

I don't think there would be an overclock set in the BIOS from NZXT, maybe they left the boost setting on in the BIOS that pushes extra voltage to the CPU to basically auto overclock it? 

You could try going into BIOS and loading default settings to make sure any overclock is disabled and then make sure the Asus boost settings are also turned off. I can't remember what that setting is called for the life of me.

13 minutes ago, SavageShow said:

That generally is a good thing. @Middcoreis probably right, this might not be such a simple thing.

I don't think there would be an overclock set in the BIOS from NZXT, maybe they left the boost setting on in the BIOS that pushes extra voltage to the CPU to basically auto overclock it? 

You could try going into BIOS and loading default settings to make sure any overclock is disabled and then make sure the Asus boost settings are also turned off. I can't remember what that setting is called for the life of me.

I am still a but unfamiliar with pc specs and others. So I will try to explain thus as best as possible. I have my BIOS open at the moment, I am looking at the "extreme tweaker/INTERNAL CPUA Power Management." The turbo mode is turned on at the moment. (see attached) I am also looking at the "External Digi+ Power Control." Everything is set to auto and acdc load line with VRM load line is disabled. Would I need to change any of this? Last photo is BIOS cpu reading.

16489504193079220507929205979198.jpg

16489504469302258563615440955340.jpg

16489504795808221995704473650169.jpg

That core voltage is right in line so it's not that. When you're in BIOS, how is the air coming out of the radiator? Is it warm or cold?

Just now, SavageShow said:

That core voltage is right in line so it's not that. When you're in BIOS, how is the air coming out of the radiator? Is it warm or cold?

The air is colder than room temperature. 

That's not how it should be, it should be warm. The heat from the CPU should be going through the liquid and dispersing from the rad. I wonder if your pump speed is set really low. 

Do you have NZXT cam installed? If so, we should be able to open that up and check the fan and pump speed.

7 minutes ago, SavageShow said:

That's not how it should be, it should be warm. The heat from the CPU should be going through the liquid and dispersing from the rad. I wonder if your pump speed is set really low. 

Do you have NZXT cam installed? If so, we should be able to open that up and check the fan and pump speed.

I do have NZXT cam installed. Though, under cooling, it states that no supported cooling devices were found. 

16489511679056687291456222264405.jpg

16489513474737933702428333378242.jpg

Dumb question, is that little USB cable on the pump block fully plugged in, it looks a little...crooked? Maybe power down, unplug, reconnect, and power back up. I'm not super familiar with NZXT AIO's but I assume that's USB for RGB and some software controls and the pump and it's speed are actually being powered and monitored by a 4 pin fan header, yes? If that is correct then you should be able to set pump speed/check pump speed with Asus AI Suite software I think?

Yeah that's not good. Either your USB header for your pump is not plugged into the motherboard (I see its plugged into the pump but not sure about board) or the pump could be on it's way out.

From this picture, I can't tell if the 3 or 4 pin header for the pump power is plugged in either. I think we're getting close to finding the issue though.

image.thumb.png.4d08d0effe75d8a976e699f41a279c12.png

5 minutes ago, SavageShow said:

Yeah that's not good. Either your USB header for your pump is not plugged into the motherboard (I see its plugged into the pump but not sure about board) or the pump is on it's way out. From this picture, I can't tell if the 3 pin header for the pump power is plugged in either. I think we're getting close to finding the issue though.

image.thumb.png.4d08d0effe75d8a976e699f41a279c12.png

As I have said before, I am unfamiliar with  certain pc specs. If you could elaborate further on the 3 pin header so I can take an accurate photo and where I may find where the pump power is plugged into on the motherboard.

Sure I can do that. Your pump that is mounted directly on your CPU should have 2 cables coming off of it. One we can plainly see which is the thicker USB cable. That should plug into a USB 2.0 header on your motherboard.

There should be a thinner 3 or 4 pin cable also coming out of your pump that runs to a fan header. It will look something like this:

image.png.312f5bf99d02b1f4ce27ad48e09797b4.png

3 minutes ago, SavageShow said:

Sure I can do that. Your pump that is mounted directly on your CPU should have 2 cables coming off of it. One we can plainly see which is the thicker USB cable. That should plug into a USB 2.0 header on your motherboard.

There should be a thinner 3 or 4 pin cable also coming out of your pump that runs to a fan header. It will look something like this:

image.png.312f5bf99d02b1f4ce27ad48e09797b4.png

Here is an image of the motherboard I have. I will look for these cables and get back to you about them

h525.png