recovering data from a wd my cloud home 8TB HDD

Ofir aviel

Hi,
I have a wd my cloud home 8TB that does not boot anymore for some reason.
I have taken it apart and took the drive out, and connected it to my pc, and the bios did not recognize it, so i looked it up on google and i found the thing about the 3.3V pin, but unfortunately, that did not work.
does anyone have any other suggestions for how i can make the bios recognize the drive?

the drive looks like this drive: (i did not take this picture, its one i found on google)

WD-RED-10TB-Photo-top.jpg

Does the drive spin up? Could be that it's the drive that died...

If it works you likely won't be able to read it from Windows, will need to boot a linux distro.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Does the drive spin up? Could be that it's the drive that died...

If it works you likely won't be able to read it from Windows, will need to boot a linux distro.

i think its spining.

i am running ubuntu from a usb drive but in the disks program i cant seem to find the drive

Hey mate,

IF the drive is spinning, you should be able to feel and hear it when first powered on.

I have used for MANY years now a piece of software called "SpinRite" from GRC software.  Steve Gibson's software has saved me (and friends) many times and is worth the money if it gets the drive in a working state again to allow you to copy the data from it.

It doesn't matter what OS the drive has, runs from bootable ISO (CD) and in some of my drives has taken literally days to finish the recovery.

4 minutes ago, DarthKegRaider said:

Hey mate,

IF the drive is spinning, you should be able to feel and hear it when first powered on.

I have used for MANY years now a piece of software called "SpinRite" from GRC software.  Steve Gibson's software has saved me (and friends) many times and is worth the money if it gets the drive in a working state again to allow you to copy the data from it.

It doesn't matter what OS the drive has, runs from bootable ISO (CD) and in some of my drives has taken literally days to finish the recovery.

But does It work if the drive is not detected in the bios?

No, If the drive isn't even detected by the BIOS there's nothing you can do. 

It's possible they use drives with custom firmware that only work in the appliance... look around, it'd likely be documented.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

if its not displaying in the bios the firmware could be corrupted on the disk.
rapidspar can repair most WD firmwares so if you know someone with one might get lucky.

Check if any HDD data recovery places (ones that have actual cleanrooms) around offer free or cheap quotes.
Could be head failure but drives like that still report sometimes