installing a 4tb hdd

So I bought a 4tb seagate drive for pretty cheap. And i didn't get any cables with it. I have a sata-data cable already but i still need to get a power sata cable. I just wanted to check if this cable is the correct one. i'm prob  gonna opt for another one cus i hate mustard and ketchup cables but this was the cheapest i could find (3usd)

image.thumb.png.6ff3efb629b88b4f6e50640fae5d6e92.png

9 minutes ago, Kevin.Sahlstrom said:

So I bought a 4tb seagate drive for pretty cheap. And i didn't get any cables with it. I have a sata-data cable already but i still need to get a power sata cable. I just wanted to check if this cable is the correct one. i'm prob  gonna opt for another one cus i hate mustard and ketchup cables but this was the cheapest i could find (3usd)

The cable pictured requires a SATA power cable to work. It is simply a splitter.

Check your PSU. If it is fully wired you should find at least one SATA power connector. If you have a modular PSU, check the unused cables.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Get the crimped style of SATA power splitters, not those molded ones! (The molded ones are prone to short circuits.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Kevin.Sahlstrom said:

Every PSU has at least 6 SATA power cables….. at least any normal ATX PSU made in the past decade. 

Do you know for certain you need another, this is just a Y splitter…

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Does your PSU not have any spare SATA power connectors? Most have at least 3 available

Like i said i have  multible sata data cables but no power sata. the psu i have is from my old pc so i doubt i can find any of the cables

1 minute ago, Kevin.Sahlstrom said:

Like i said i have  multible sata data cables but no power sata. the psu i have is from my old pc so i doubt i can find any of the cables

What model PSU? What cables do you have connected to it?

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Every PSU has at least 6 SATA power cables….. at least any normal ATX PSU made in the past decade. 

Do you know for certain you need another, this is just a Y splitter…

yes. I need a power sata and a data satat (which i already have) it's the power sata i need to buy. My psu is from my old pc. and the "new" psu i have isnt modular and came from a prebuilt so i dont have any cables from that either. but it's alright i just need to buy a new cable. Just need help finding a website or guide to where i can buy that. I foudn one but im unsure if it's the correct cable

Just now, brob said:

What model PSU? What cables do you have connected to it?

already  have a 2tb hdd installed. it's a corsair Corsair CX650M. Iv'e collected multible data cables over the years but no power 

4 minutes ago, Kevin.Sahlstrom said:

already  have a 2tb hdd installed. it's a corsair Corsair CX650M. Iv'e collected multible data cables over the years but no power 

You don't really get SATA power cables with anything. They come direct from the PSU.

If you have no spare SATA power connectors on the PSU, you can split them using the cable you first linked, to plug that splitter into one of the connectors from the PSU and then into two drives. That said, the CX650M has at least 2x SATA power connectors on each of the SATA power modular cables, so unless something else is using the other connectors, you should have at least one spare.

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You don't really get SATA power cables with anything. They come direct from the PSU.

If you have no spare SATA power connectors on the PSU, you can split them using the cable you first linked, to plug that splitter into one of the connectors from the PSU and then into two drives. That said, the CX650M has at least 2x SATA power connectors on each of the SATA power modular cables, so unless something else is using the other connectors, you should have at least one spare.

alright. thx

10 minutes ago, Kevin.Sahlstrom said:

You can order a replacement from Corsair, https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Ribbon-Style-SATA-Cable-with-4-Connectors%2C-Type-3-(850mm)/p/CP-8920113.

4 hours ago, Kevin.Sahlstrom said:

Take your side panel off and look how many SATA power plugs are being used and not being used. You will only need 1 that isn’t being used… 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

6 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Get the crimped style of SATA power splitters, not those molded ones! (The molded ones are prone to short circuits.)

Abit off topic but is there a way to visually tell between crimped and molded adapters? id rather not have one of these adapters burn up on me cause one of my molex to 2 sata seems to have shorted and burned the wires (bought em for like a $ or 2)

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Abit off topic but is there a way to visually tell between crimped and molded adapters? id rather not have one of these adapters burn up on me cause one of my molex to 2 sata seems to have shorted and burned the wires (bought em for like a $ or 2)

The crimped ones will look like the SATA connectors on your power supply.

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 15.7 in (400 mm) SATA Power Splitter Adapter Cable  - M/F - 4x Serial ATA Power Cable Splitter (PYO4SATA) : Electronics

On the molded ones, the wires just disappear into the plastic connector.

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 6in SATA Power Y Splitter Cable Adapter - M/F -  Power splitter - SATA power (M) to SATA power (F) - 6 in - PYO2SATA :  Electronics

I sold my soul for ProSupport.