Remote Server Login Issue

I'm in the middle of mapping a network drive, when the server (server 2003) rejects my credentials. I went to double-check that I typed it in correctly, confirmed that it was correct, still rejecting my credentials. I try another employee's credentials (I'm the IT guy of a company of 8 employees) and it accepts theirs. I checked the server (in-person) and could not find anything in the logs that really stand out to me, no errors reported. I checked the credential manager, confirmed that mine were still registered, and looked to see if anything had been changed (it had not.) It showed that I was not logged in and that I hadn't since the last time I has to do this.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance!

Did you verify permissions on the drive you are trying to map? Is there a chance that your user account does not have permissions on the shared folder you are trying to map.

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

Did you verify permissions on the drive you are trying to map? Is there a chance that your user account does not have permissions on the shared folder you are trying to map.

I have not! Gimme a bit and I'll report back the results.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

10 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

I failed to mention that this is an issue on an XP machine. I can't enable SMB1 on our internet connected devices, unless that's all they can run.

23 minutes ago, CubisticWings4 said:

I failed to mention that this is an issue on an XP machine. I can't enable SMB1 on our internet connected devices, unless that's all they can run.

Why are you guys still using server 2003 and Windows XP?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

6 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Why are you guys still using server 2003 and Windows XP?

The business relies on a program that's almost as old as I am. POS software is expensive af. Cloud-based stuff is like $100/license/month, minimum 10 licenses.

4 hours ago, CubisticWings4 said:

If you are on 2003 and XP I'm not positive you can turn SMB1 off.

Removing credentials from credential manager has helped me in the past.  Also resetting the credentials on the server or making sure the account is not locked out or set to force a password change on next login.

Domain environment?

7 minutes ago, jlr860 said:

Removing credentials from SMB1 has helped me in the past.  Also resetting the credentials on the server or making sure the account is not locked out or set to force a password change on next login.

Domain environment?

Uhhh... not 100% sure. I wasn't the one that set it up and no one left a manual. It's kinda sad, really. I am just now starting to work on a network architecture degree.

If you manage your user account from active directory users and computers then it is a domain.  Also clearing the credentials from credential manager and re entering them has helped in the past.  In case there is a user account conflict try entering the credentials as serverhostname\yourserverusername when trying to connect from your computer

15 minutes ago, jlr860 said:

If you manage your user account from active directory users and computers then it is a domain.  Also clearing the credentials from credential manager and re entering them has helped in the past.  In case there is a user account conflict try entering the credentials as serverhostname\yourserverusername when trying to connect from your computer

gotcha. I'll give that a shot in the am (more likely after hours cuz, ya know, credentials.

39 minutes ago, jlr860 said:

Removing credentials from credential manager has helped me in the past.  Also resetting the credentials on the server or making sure the account is not locked out or set to force a password change on next login.

Domain environment?

Yeah you can't disable SMB1, because SMB2 wasnt introduced until Server 2008 / Windows 7. 

Honestly though, this is a pretty big security risk because of WannaCry etc....

They should be looking at other solutions for transferring files, such as WinSCP if possible. 

As for this specific acount issue, on the Server 2003, open Command Prompt and type "net user <username>". 

Check to make sure the account is actually Enabled, and the password isnt expired, and check the group memberships. 

Also check the user accounts access to the share. 

In your Windows Xp, make sure you're specifying the correct domain. If its a local account make sure you're specifying COMPUTERNAME\<Username> format. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 3/30/2022 at 7:50 PM, Jarsky said:

Yeah you can't disable SMB1, because SMB2 wasnt introduced until Server 2008 / Windows 7. 

Honestly though, this is a pretty big security risk because of WannaCry etc....

They should be looking at other solutions for transferring files, such as WinSCP if possible. 

As for this specific acount issue, on the Server 2003, open Command Prompt and type "net user <username>". 

Check to make sure the account is actually Enabled, and the password isnt expired, and check the group memberships. 

Also check the user accounts access to the share. 

In your Windows Xp, make sure you're specifying the correct domain. If its a local account make sure you're specifying COMPUTERNAME\<Username> format. 

Well, our POS software is dependent on our current setup. We're basically stuck at this point. The database/connections are managed with Pervasive SQL IIRC. POS software is Touchstone 2000 from Dimasys Inc. (now Infor.)

UPDATE 4/5:

After taking a sanity break and setting up another spare XP PC, I found out the all the credentials I tried on the PC that still won't accept them work just fine on this new spare. Now that I know that the credentials themselves are ok, what would cause THAT SPECIFIC PC to reject the credentials?