GTX 1070 fans full speed and black screen

Cgmstan

Hey everyone, I have seen a few of these threads but wanted to get an updated one to try and figure out what's going on with my 1070.

About a year ago I had my last gpu replaced because it was doing the same thing, I did an RMA with EVGA and they gave me a replacement, which just recently has started to have the same problem as the last one. I have been trying some trouble shooting of my own; new power supply, new 6+2 pin cables, uninstalled then reinstalled graphics drivers, tried turning power goal down in Precision X1, updating BIOS, and cleaning/reapplying thermal paste to GPU.

The only two things I have been unable to do are test the gpu in another system and test a different gpu in my system.

The uploaded file is a log from GPU-Z. The timeline for the log is: Desktop to launching and loading Need For Speed: Heat, to gpu fans full speed and black screen. The end of the log is a manual system restart. 

My reason for uploading the file is to see if anyone sees anything out of the ordinary with it, and maybe give me a lead into where to troubleshoot next.

EDIT: the clock and memory speed for the gpu in the log is full stock without Precision X1 running

My system is:

Motherboard: MSI b350M Gaming Pro

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

PSU Original: Corsair CS550m (550w)

PSU New: Thermaltake Smart 700w

RAM: T-Force 2x8gb DDR4 3000mhz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTD

GPU-Z Sensor Log3.txt

Edited by Cgmstan

It sounds like a driver crash, either because of an unstable overclock, or the silicon just wearing to the point that it can't even maintain the "base" clocks anymore. Most AIB cards do have some sort of mild overclock on them, compared to the truly barebones stock speeds on Nvidia's reference sheet. Look up the base core and memory clocks for a Founder's edition 1070, and try lowering your speeds down to those numbers, see if the issue resolves itself.

Though it's a bit of a stretch, it could also be a bad BIOS? But I somehow don't see that being the case, and reflashing it could always go wrong and brick the card, so that should really be a last resort.

4 minutes ago, Cgmstan said:

The only two things I have been unable to do are test the gpu in another system and test a different gpu in my system.

This is really all you have left. 

The "black screen and GPU fans at 100%" is a pretty well documented failure mode and its not good. Generally there is a hardware fault, usually with power delivery, on the GPU's PCB somewhere. Certain conditions it'll trigger and you'll get what you're experiencing.