Mined GTX 1060 Graphics Card Crashes only in games but not benchmark (Reposted from Tom's hardware)

Hi there,

I'm new to this community so I may not be able to cover all the details I've missed.

A month ago I've got a used Galax GTX 1060 from a friend and started mining on Hiveos Linux system, everything seems normal until a few days ago, it crashed due to cuda error: "The launch timed out and was terminated" (code:6) from NBMiner.
I tried rebooting but still the same error happened every 3minutes it had booted up, then I removed the gpu and the problem was solved for the rig. Later, I installed the gpu in my normal windows rig, my specs are followed:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard: MSI B550 GAMING EDGE ATX
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: Corsair 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 (x2)
PSU: ASUS ROG STRIX 750W GOLD PSU

It booted up surprisingly without major issues, yet until I tried booting up Dead by Daylight on my device, the game started running for a minute then the screen froze while the audio was playing, shorty after the whole game crashed.

After I tried booting up some other games like Minecraft, Roblox and Euro Truck Simulator 2.
Minecraft and Euro Truck Simulator 2 were able to boot without problem but the game Roblox got the same result.

Later I have found multiple forums on the internet and tried the following fixes:

• Uninstalling and reinstalling Nvidia GPU driver
  • Install Nvidia CUDA driver
  • Underclocking my GPU on MSI Afterburner
  • Checking on GPU-Z if GPU not detected (It appeared to be normal)

When everything didn't work out, I reinstalled windows. However, the problem still remained after reinstalling (or even worsening), I got Wallpaper Engine on my device it used to work probably and now it just wouldn't boot probably.

Then, I changed my focus on hardware and tried several fixes:

• Replacing 2 Corsair ram with another spare 2 Corsair ram (also underclocking which didn't work)
  • Replacing my GPU with my old Rx 580 (it worked probably but after swapping back the problem remained)

When I thought all hope was lost and tried benchmarking, the funny part is the gpu was able to run different benchmarks without graphics glitches or freezes. Now I am really confused, I could figure out it must be something wrong with the cuda,
but it seems to be a rare case for both the gaming and mining community. It even reaches the professional server-level field. As an ordinary miner and gamer, it seems out of my reach for solving. Now the gpu was used for basic uses.
If anyone with adequate knowledge about this problem, please help, I'm willing to post anything needed.

Thanks,

T

Any temp readings from all this? Thermal pads may be coming loose because of thermal paste degrading.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Yes there is temp reading from MSI burner, I will try to replace the thermal paste later on

57 minutes ago, Tru3T_W0rthy_Person said:

Yes there is temp reading from MSI burner, I will try to replace the thermal paste later on

make sure to use the quote button so we can see your responses

what software did you use to benchmark? I recommend trying with different programs like Unigine Heaven and Superposition benchhmark.

Also, try to reduce the clock speeds of the GPU and vRAM to see if it is more stable.

1 hour ago, Tru3T_W0rthy_Person said:

Replacing my GPU with my old Rx 580 (it worked probably but after swapping back the problem remained)

it's a bit strange to ask but why replace a 580 with a 1060? They have very similar gaming performance. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

make sure to use the quote button so we can see your responses

what software did you use to benchmark? I recommend trying with different programs like Unigine Heaven and Superposition benchhmark.

Also, try to reduce the clock speeds of the GPU and vRAM to see if it is more stable.

it's a bit strange to ask but why replace a 580 with a 1060? They have very similar gaming performance. 

After reapplying thermal paste on gpu, the problem was not solved.

I did benchmark on FurMark and Unigine Heaven and as I mentioned it runs surprisingly smooth.

I also tried underclocking the gpu which turn out to be vain.

To answer your curiosity the card was used for mining before and the 580 was my original gaming gpu.

I am about 70-80% sure it is something wrong with the cuda still don't know how to fix it