Ubuntu 4.10 "Warty Warthog" boots into terminal and not desktop.

Mint7563

I need help! I was trying to install Ubuntu 4.10 on this laptop, but after it was all finished, it only boots into terminal and not the login/desktop screen.

I am not a Linux user, this is something new to me, but I was sure this was going to be a desktop version of linux.

The live CD worked just fine, but the actual install does this... Any idea's? (I did install online packages by accident, if that is relevant.)

IMG_20220327_163719759.jpg

Just now, TheBean said:

is there a reason you are using such an ancient version of ubuntu?

Yeah, this computer is like 20 years old, ran windows XP.

14 minutes ago, TheBean said:

is there a reason you are using such an ancient version of ubuntu?

Should I just re-install?

The repo for that version of Ubuntu is probably long dead, you would be better of going for something more recent. You also probably won't get much help for a Distro that old as a lot has changed.

If resources are a concern, MX Linux seems to be a pretty common choice for low end systems.

1 hour ago, Nayr438 said:

The repo for that version of Ubuntu is probably long dead, you would be better of going for something more recent. You also probably won't get much help for a Distro that old as a lot has changed.

If resources are a concern, MX Linux seems to be a pretty common choice for low end systems.

Ok, I'll try that! This PC uses a AMD 64 Athlon, so idk

*Edit* Time to burn yet another disc....

2 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

This did not work as when i try to boot into linux MX from the menu that loads off of the CD, the PC crashes and the screen bugs out (Black and White lines scrolling up/down) The disk drive also goes insane. Revving off and on.

lubuntu is also pretty common to use on low end systems. 

also, why are you burning CDs? can you not just use a usb stick?

using anything older than 3 years for a linux distro is REALLY not a good idea. filled with security problems and bugs or just missing features. 

16 hours ago, Mint7563 said:

Ok, I'll try that! This PC uses a AMD 64 Athlon, so idk

*Edit* Time to burn yet another disc....

Well... here's an Athlon 64 on 21.10 just sayin... (not recommended lol its pretty slow) but you could run something a LOT newer

On 3/28/2022 at 11:20 AM, Mel0nMan said:

Well... here's an Athlon 64 on 21.10 just sayin... (not recommended lol its pretty slow) but you could run something a LOT newer

Tried that, won't boot into installer. It just crashes the PC straight up. I did get Linux Lite working though... Works just fine. Can't use apt-get though...

On 3/28/2022 at 11:13 AM, TheBean said:

lubuntu is also pretty common to use on low end systems. 

also, why are you burning CDs? can you not just use a usb stick?

using anything older than 3 years for a linux distro is REALLY not a good idea. filled with security problems and bugs or just missing features. 

This PC is so old, it cannot run off of USB, only cd, network, floppy disks, or Hard drive.