HELP Left shift doesn't work with 2/@ key, if i want to use @ i have to use the right shift key.

basically the title, it works with every single key except the 2/@ key. Just started happening a few days ago.

Laptop is an Acer Nitro 5

Help!

Would you please be so kind and send a screenshot of your laptop with the layout of the keyboard and please tell us what laptop do you have. Thank you 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

Almost sounds like malware. No logical reason the shift key wouldn't work with only that one key. Does this happen with other keyboards on the same machine? Does this keyboard behave the same on other machines?

Some possible explanations:

Malware that has removed the @ symbol from your computer's ASCII alphabet.

Malware that is coded to modify Shift key behavior for just that one key (highly unlikely, but possible) or perhaps force a backspace when it is used, which would give the impression it isn't working.

You have inadvertently set your Windows to use a language / keyboard layout similar to yours that does not use the @ symbol.

(Here's a video on how to fix this)

Keyboard's internals are mildly damaged to where pressure on those two keys is interrupting the data / power stream.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

15 minutes ago, SamClan said:

Would you please be so kind and send a screenshot of your laptop with the layout of the keyboard and please tell us what laptop do you have. Thank you 

Acer Nitro 5

Cpu - i5 7th gen

Ram - 8GB

Storage - 256GB SSD (Boot drive) & 500GB nvme

IMG_0875.heic

14 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Almost sounds like malware. No logical reason the shift key wouldn't work with only that one key. Does this happen with other keyboards on the same machine? Does this keyboard behave the same on other machines?

Malware that is coded to modify Shift key behavior for just that one key (highly unlikely, but possible) or perhaps force a backspace when it is used, which would give the impression it isn't working.

You have inadvertently set your Windows to use a language / keyboard layout similar to yours that does not use the @ symbol.

Keyboard's internals are mildly damaged to where pressure on those two keys is interrupting the data / power stream.

hmm, ill try to scan for malware. Can't test an external keyboard cause im out of town rn 😕

36 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Update: if i tap the left shift key and then press 2 very quickly it works, i get the @ symbol but if I press and  hold the left shift key and press 2 it doesn't work.

1 hour ago, deadxsensei said:

Update: if i tap the left shift key and then press 2 very quickly it works, i get the @ symbol but if I press and  hold the left shift key and press 2 it doesn't work.

Possibly this has to do with a slight difference of lateral pressure on either key in that scenario. Which points to wear or dust buildup.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Try opening Windows 'on screen keyboard' and you can use that to help verify and diagnose your keyboards functionality.

- Click the Windows icon and type "osk" and select the "On-Screen Keyboard' app. 

You should be able to see press and hold down a key and see that action being reflected on the OSK's GUI. I agree with An0maly_76, sounds like dust is screwing with your Shift keys input being registered.