Can I connect my monitor's usb hub to two separate computers? And maybe switch the owner ship by selecting main and sub?

linus is my favourite mum
Go to solution Solved by mapegl,
1 minute ago, linus is my favourite mum said:

Hey. Yeah, true. 

However pip/pbp-modes and a KVM are vastly different. KVM is a business feature and not present in many monitors.

I looked at the specs and as I suspected, you have a single upstream cable for the monitor, thus you cannot physically attach two computers two the monitor when it comes to anything but display. 

You could sell your monitor and get something like the Gigabyte M34WQ. It actually has a built-in KVM.

Sorry my friend.i also have an integrated usb-hub on my monitor, but I have to move the uplink cable around if I use another PC for testing or whatever...

Can I connect my monitor's usb hub to two separate computers? And maybe switch the owner ship by selecting main and sub? 

Well there are monitors with a built in KVM, but I bet yours does not have it if you are asking like this.

Just physically, you have one uplink, but two computers. You need special equipment for that type of stuff.

Again, look for KVMs either as standalone or built into a monitor if you need that functionality. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

14 minutes ago, linus is my favourite mum said:

No, unless your monitor has 2 USB inputs and a way to toggle between them. But almost no monitors have this (would be some specialty device), so the almost 100% guaranteed answer is no, unfortunately. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Hey. Yeah, true. 

However pip/pbp-modes and a KVM are vastly different. KVM is a business feature and not present in many monitors.

I looked at the specs and as I suspected, you have a single upstream cable for the monitor, thus you cannot physically attach two computers two the monitor when it comes to anything but display. 

You could sell your monitor and get something like the Gigabyte M34WQ. It actually has a built-in KVM.

Sorry my friend.i also have an integrated usb-hub on my monitor, but I have to move the uplink cable around if I use another PC for testing or whatever...

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

@mapeglThanks!, what if i use like a dual female to male usb adapter? Thanks! KVMs are so expensive! some are like 400? My second hand pc cost about that much in AUD, or 280 usd

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

No, unless your monitor has 2 USB inputs and a way to toggle between them. But almost no monitors have this (would be some specialty device), so the almost 100% guaranteed answer is no, unfortunately. 

Thanks, or else the motherboard has type c, a type c hub i think might work.

5 hours ago, linus is my favourite mum said:

Thanks, or else the motherboard has type c, a type c hub i think might work.

How would a usb C hub work as a way of changing inputs? You just mean you would plug and unplug the hub and everything connected to it from one machine to the other? If so, yes I think may be the best option. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

12 hours ago, linus is my favourite mum said:

@mapeglThanks!, what if i use like a dual female to male usb adapter? Thanks! KVMs are so expensive! some are like 400? My second hand pc cost about that much in AUD, or 280 usd

I would not buy a KVM, but instead sell your current monitor and buy one with an integrated KVM. 

Trust me. Everything else is either really jank or just plain won't work at all....and the dual female to male would not work.

Also, I would rather save a little money now and not pour it into solutions you aren't happy with afterwards.

I know, not really satisfying, but that is the harsh truth with some technical issues. Some things are just expensive, when done the right way. And personally, I don't find a 34" ultrawide with KVM for 500 too expensive. It is a lot of money, but pretty good value

25 minutes ago, linus is my favourite mum said:

yeah but my monitor isnt type c, @mapegl yep I'll just have two keyboards on my desk then,

He ment an USB C hub that had both USB and displayport/HDMI on it, so connect display with DP/HDMI to the hub together with whatever else and then have a single USB C cable you switch between computers.

Requires the computers to have USB C that support it tho.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

18 hours ago, Mihle said:

He ment an USB C hub that had both USB and displayport/HDMI on it, so connect display with DP/HDMI to the hub together with whatever else and then have a single USB C cable you switch between computers.

Requires the computers to have USB C that support it tho.

youre right!

12 hours ago, linus is my favourite mum said:

youre right!

Well if you finde a feasible solution, let me know. I am more than interested. I also have two PCs under my desk. One rarely gets powered on, so I never put too much thought into a KVM-like solution.