My logitech keyboard having some rare seizures.

Murasaki

I've been noticing every few weeks when i wake up in the morning theres something strange going on. My Logitech G413's backlit keys are strobing (on and off fast) constantly when they're supposed to be completely off when the system is powered off. Obviously replugging the usb cables or flipping the PSU switch fixes that... but why is this happening though. Keyboard's fault? PSU? Motherboard USB ports? Maybe you've had a similar issue or got an idea whats happening hopefully.

Spoiler

maxresdefaultbutnotreally.thumb.jpg.07ee46ea599eb663d3003afd1db025f5.jpg

What motherboard do you have? I know my ducky one2 plugged in to my msi board will put all the lights out when i switch off the PC but when it's plugged in to my asus board it'll stay on after i switch off the PC until i either A: unplugged the keyboard.  or B:turned off/unplugged the PSU

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

49 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

What motherboard do you have? I know my ducky one2 plugged in to my msi board will put all the lights out when i switch off the PC but when it's plugged in to my asus board it'll stay on after i switch off the PC until i either A: unplugged the keyboard.  or B:turned off/unplugged the PSU

Asus H170 Pro Gaming, maybe an Asus thing lol? Though it always shuts off fine, I just happened to find it in the morning many hours later after the system was powered off. Was obviously asleep so no clue when it started. Maybe there was a power outage in the middle of the night? idk.

26 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Asus H170 Pro Gaming, maybe an Asus thing lol? Though it always shuts off fine, I just happened to find it in the morning many hours later after the system was powered off. Was obviously asleep so no clue when it started. Maybe there was a power outage in the middle of the night? idk.

yeah might be something with the 'always on charging' feature in your board.  I'm sure that's what does it on both my Z370 and H61 boards.  You may be able to turn it off in the bios and not have to worry.  I wouldn't want any sort of voltage fluttering through my keyboard without my knowledge

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

2 hours ago, SimplyChunk said:

yeah might be something with the 'always on charging' feature in your board.  I'm sure that's what does it on both my Z370 and H61 boards.  You may be able to turn it off in the bios and not have to worry.  I wouldn't want any sort of voltage fluttering through my keyboard without my knowledge

I'm not finding such option in the manual. I see some things in APM Configuration theres "ErP Ready" which is set to Disabled and theres Enabled S4/S5. S5 is soft off so I guess choosing Enabled S5 should power off the USB ports?

here you go.  found this

https://yoodley.com/what-does-erp-ready-mean-in-bios/

and further for your S5 question

S5 State in ErP Ready

S5 denotes the shutdown state of a computer, which means when you shut down a computer, it is implied to be in the S5 state.

S5 power state: In the S5 state, also known as the “shutdown” state, the machine performs no computational tasks and does not retain any form of memory state in software or hardware.

Think i'll be doing it on my asus boards in a bit too

7 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

here you go.  found this

https://yoodley.com/what-does-erp-ready-mean-in-bios/

and further for your S5 question

Think i'll be doing it on my asus boards in a bit too

Yeah I enabled it in S5 and it did shut the USB ports off! However it also shut off all LEDs and the PCI card I have for my remote control which i start the system with.. glad the case power button was still wired properly 😆  Well that was a shortlived celebration!

Just now, Murasaki said:

Yeah I enabled it in S5 and it did shut the USB ports off! However it also shut off all LEDs and the PCI card I have for my remote control which i start the system with.. glad the case power button was still wired properly 😆  Well that was a shortlived celebration!

It's a start though.  at least you're in the right ball park now. and have identified the 'problem'  So maybe a little more digging on your part and you'll find the right combo for you

2 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

It's a start though.  at least you're in the right ball park now. and have identified the 'problem'  So maybe a little more digging on your part and you'll find the right combo for you

Don't think I have any other options in the BIOS for that so its a "time to choose" moment. Think I'll keep using my remote 😛 and if the keyboard gets fried so be it not the end of the world. It works fine despite its occasional "party hard" moments.

you could plug it in to a non powered hub.  No way the 5v residual from board USB will keep the whole hub lit