Which OS should I use for a home server?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. Linus and Slick keep saying in the videos that this is a great place to get help, and since I've seen pretty much all of their videos for the past many years, thought I'd give it a try.

Quickly here are the specs for the server:
-AMD A8-3870k with a Gigabyte FM1 mobo

-4 gigs of Kingston RAM

-2 WD 2T green HDD's, 1 Seagate 2T 5900RMP HDD, 1 Seagate 320gig 2.5inch (for OS)

-500W Fractal PSU, and NZXT Tempest case.

-No raid card, I'm going to set up software RAID 5 (I know this is not the best)

The server is connected to the router (ASUS RT-N56U) by Ethernet. My main PC, and other 3 PC's in the house are connected by WAN.

I'm having some troubles with setting up a home server for myself using Widows Server 2012 Essentials and I really need help. I installed WS 2012 essentials and tried to just follow instructions in the Dashboard to start configuring it. When I added my main PC to the server, it changed my start up screen, so now I had to log in either locally or as one of the server accounts. I do not want this, I want my main rig to go straight to Desktop when I boot it up. When I tried to reverse this on my main PC, long story short... many things went wrong and now I'm burning a WIN 8 DVD to make a fresh install. So now I would like to get some help to help me decided what to do.

This is what I want from a home server:

-My main pc to go straight to Desktop at launch (log into my local admin account automatically)

-To access data on the server easily. Preferably have like a "Shared Folder" next to all my drives in "My Computer".

-Automated Back-ups on all the local computers in the house.

-Access the server to play movies and access files. Preferably through a Browser (I could settle for VPN).

-Preferably have a build in remote desktop and VPN.

-Easy management and set-up? plz? School just started...

Can Windows Server 2012 Essentials do these things? Should I try using Windows Home Server 2011? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you are comfortable using Linux I would recommend Ubuntu Server. If not windows home server is great especially if you are running windows machines.  I would recommend going with Ubuntu Server, it is pretty easy to set up and best of all IT'S FREE! :)

If you go with windows as your server OS try HOME server. It is easier to set up. I don't think it really matters which year you get, they all seem fine.

Hope it helps! Let me know if you need more help. :)

Home Server is what you should be using but Server 2008 will work fine in the Home aswell.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll check out ubuntu Server and WHS 2011 then. Also, price isn't an issue since I'm a student and I can get student licenses on many microsoft products.

Anyone here has WHS 2011 or WS 2012 essentials? I would really like to hear your opinions.

• 3 months later...

Anyone here has WHS 2011 or WS 2012 essentials? I would really like to hear your opinions.

I may be able to throw it on a machine and try it out :)

WHS 2011 is really easy to set up.

It's as simple as:

-attach it to routuer

-connect to address on client pc, download client

-run client

-connected!

configure all shiz on server remotely or locally on the server :)

Honestly, Ubuntu server. Setting it up completely from scratch is a very satisfying experience. If you're a bit more adventurous, just about any Linux distribution works. Debian is another great option for stability reasons.

Plenty of tutorials and documentation to set it up in any way you want.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Would also say linux cause in my experience i think its much much greater than windows in many ways

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

Also, price isn't an issue since I'm a student and I can get student licenses on many microsoft products.

Just make sure you understand the licensing. I know my student licenses are only valid for two years. It would be a shame if your Windows server stopped working unexpectedly due to an expired license. I personally love Linux and my vote goes for a Linux server. If you like to play around with operating systems, Windows Server 2012 R2 release preview is available on technet (can only be used until sometime in January).

I would recommend Ubuntu server if you are connecting the home server to the Internet.

I'm running WHS 2011 and have been extremely happy with it, no tweaking and never have to worry about it.

sounds like a NAS. Why not test freenas? its got SSH and webgui and the ZFS filesystem is just awesome!

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

I've also been using WHS2011 for a while how and can't fault it really. It's just a bit of a shame MS are ditching it :(

The good points are the auto backup of up to 10 PC's on your LAN/WLAN works flawlessly.  The remote web access comes in handy and works well.  If you want any professional help with it see wegotserved.com  they have everything you need to know about servers in general and have some good eBooks, I have a couple on WHS2011 from them.

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

*** Headset - ROG Vulcan ANC