Game Crashes and Auto Restarts PC

SoulutionA

So to give some context, my after upgrading my cpu for my editing rig (5600x to 5950x) and going from all air cooling to a kraken z73,

I have recently been getting black screens + failed windows repairs on boot. I'm thinking my windows boot files were shot so i moved my important data to another SSD and i purged the old copy of data (including old windows partitions and original data) and did a completely fresh windows install. The install went smoothly and the computer started to post without issue but as soon as i booted up Elden Ring for about 5 minutes that black screen came back with a vengeance. Mouse and keyboard were unresponsive, CPU temp went to zero, and pc would not power off unless I hit psu's switch. That last sentence i typed was the usual reaction to the blue screen error and old black screens prior to installing windows all over again. And now I'm scared it might be a software + hardware issue. 

My system specs will be listed down below to help anyone identify the issue and I'm open to any questions/ suggestions that'll help me solve the problem.

Cooler : NZXT Kraken Z73 RGB

CPU : Ryzen 9 5950x 

Mobo : MSI MEG B550 Unify

Ram : G.Skill Trident Z NEO Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4-32000) CL18-22-22-42 1.40V (Two sets so 64 GB running at 3200mhz)

PSU : PowerSpec 850 Watt Gold Plus+ 

GPU : PowerColor Red Devil RX 6800 XT 

Boot Drive :  SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB 

Storage :  x3 SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus 2TB

Seagate Baracuda 2TB + 8TB 

SAMSUNG 860 EVO 2TB 

Description

A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Code: 141

Parameter 1: ffffc80357a10010

Parameter 2: fffff80548e8e2e0

Parameter 3: 0

Parameter 4: 449c

OS version: 10_0_19044

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

OS Version: 10.0.19044.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_amdkmdag.sys

Server information: be4a0b1c-e2a2-48ac-8a28-584a82986888

This error usually happens when the crash does as well if you need anymore info, just let me know

11 hours ago, SoulutionA said:

So to give some context, my after upgrading my cpu for my editing rig (5600x to 5950x) and going from all air cooling to a kraken z73,

I have recently been getting black screens + failed windows repairs on boot. I'm thinking my windows boot files were shot so i moved my important data to another SSD and i purged the old copy of data (including old windows partitions and original data) and did a completely fresh windows install. The install went smoothly and the computer started to post without issue but as soon as i booted up Elden Ring for about 5 minutes that black screen came back with a vengeance. Mouse and keyboard were unresponsive, CPU temp went to zero, and pc would not power off unless I hit psu's switch. That last sentence i typed was the usual reaction to the blue screen error and old black screens prior to installing windows all over again. And now I'm scared it might be a software + hardware issue. 

My system specs will be listed down below to help anyone identify the issue and I'm open to any questions/ suggestions that'll help me solve the problem.

Cooler : NZXT Kraken Z73 RGB

CPU : Ryzen 9 5950x 

Mobo : MSI MEG B550 Unify

Ram : G.Skill Trident Z NEO Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4-32000) CL18-22-22-42 1.40V (Two sets so 64 GB running at 3200mhz)

PSU : PowerSpec 850 Watt Gold Plus+ 

GPU : PowerColor Red Devil RX 6800 XT 

Boot Drive :  SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB 

Storage :  x3 SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus 2TB

Seagate Baracuda 2TB + 8TB 

SAMSUNG 860 EVO 2TB 

Description

A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Code: 141

Parameter 1: ffffc80357a10010

Parameter 2: fffff80548e8e2e0

Parameter 3: 0

Parameter 4: 449c

OS version: 10_0_19044

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

OS Version: 10.0.19044.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_amdkmdag.sys

Server information: be4a0b1c-e2a2-48ac-8a28-584a82986888

This error usually happens when the crash does as well if you need anymore info, just let me know

Thanks for all that info, the event viewer one is very helpful here but I want to stress a CMOS clear to remove XMP / any other weird settings is where I would start. Make sure power cable is out when you do it and leave out for at least one minute 

In most cases, the LiveKernelEvent Code: 141 issue is related to the GPU of the affected computer.

Have you been monitoring your GPU/VRAM and CPU temps when booting up games? Keep in mind elden ring is new, make sure to try other games too.

Try downloading DDU and running in safemode.

Supplemental note: Since your PSU is more then enough, I doubt that is it

8 hours ago, Frizz said:

Thanks for all that info, the event viewer one is very helpful here but I want to stress a CMOS clear to remove XMP / any other weird settings is where I would start. Make sure power cable is out when you do it and leave out for at least one minute 

In most cases, the LiveKernelEvent Code: 141 issue is related to the GPU of the affected computer.

Have you been monitoring your GPU/VRAM and CPU temps when booting up games? Keep in mind elden ring is new, make sure to try other games too.

Try downloading DDU and running in safemode.

Supplemental note: Since your PSU is more then enough, I doubt that is it

I'll attempt a cmos clear later today and i already uninstalled my gpu's drivers with amd uninstaller and reinstalled them so would I still need to use DDU just to be safe? The black screen happens with other games too...

6 hours ago, SoulutionA said:

I'll attempt a cmos clear later today and i already uninstalled my gpu's drivers with amd uninstaller and reinstalled them so would I still need to use DDU just to be safe? The black screen happens with other games too...

Yes try DDU too is my suggestion. I have seen times where the built in uninstallers do not get everything out sadly 😞

I agree with the graphics issue. It sucks to hear it, but AMD has been struggling with these types of errors lately. Make sure you have the latest drivers. My Vega 64 was crashing constantly with Elden Ring until I did a completely clean windows install, similar to what you did. My error was usually "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE", but it's a similar kernel error caused by the GPU. It seems mostly associated to driver issues 

12 hours ago, Frizz said:

Yes try DDU too is my suggestion. I have seen times where the built in uninstallers do not get everything out sadly 😞

Could it be a psu issue or mobo as well? i put my 5700g by itself in my rig above without the 6800 xt and it ran elden ring for multiple hours without crashing. I moved my 5950x and 6800 xt to my other build with a B550 mag, 250 gb nvme, 750 watt bronze plus power spec, and the same drivers with no black screen. I was running destiny 2 this time because it was one of the game's that black screen on me with the main rig. I do have a lot of peripherals hooked up in the editing rig (360 mm aio cooler, 11 rgb fans, fan hub, 4 nvmes, 1 sata ssd, 2 hdds) so im thinking my power supply or mobo can't keep up. 

12 hours ago, Frizz said:

I'll still install DDU since that'll cover one more base for troubleshooting my pc potentially 

18 minutes ago, SoulutionA said:

Could it be a psu issue or mobo as well? i put my 5700g by itself in my rig above without the 6800 xt and it ran elden ring for multiple hours without crashing. I moved my 5950x and 6800 xt to my other build with a B550 mag, 250 gb nvme, 750 watt bronze plus power spec, and the same drivers with no black screen. I was running destiny 2 this time because it was one of the game's that black screen on me with the main rig. I do have a lot of peripherals hooked up in the editing rig (360 mm aio cooler, 11 rgb fans, fan hub, 4 nvmes, 1 sata ssd, 2 hdds) so im thinking my power supply or mobo can't keep up. 

For sure could be! Since you have another build try using your current problem build as is and only

change out for the older 750w PSU and it's cables (cables are NOT interchangeable).

You don't have to put it all in and cable manage. Just keep the 850 PSU where it is and undo the power cables and let them sit somewhere. Then keep the other PSU outside the case if you like and hookup the needed 12v ATX, CPU and PCIe cables to test

And just to make sure, you are using 2 SEPARATE PCIe cables for each GPU connector right? Do not daisy chain those 

4 minutes ago, Frizz said:

For sure could be! Since you have another build try using your current problem build as is and only

change out for the older 750w PSU and it's cables (cables are NOT interchangeable).

You don't have to put it all in and cable manage. Just keep the 850 PSU where it is and undo the power cables and let them sit somewhere. Then keep the other PSU outside the case if you like and hookup the needed 12v ATX, CPU and PCIe cables to test

And just to make sure, you are using 2 SEPARATE PCIe cables for each GPU connector right? Do not daisy chain those 

4 minutes ago, Frizz said:

im actually installing a 1500 watt be quiet psu i just bought for safe measure ill let you know if it solves the issue

4 hours ago, Frizz said:

so no post atm. my pump fan is lighting up but not spinning now and my gpu is having the same issue atm... the vga led is lighting up on the mobo but i don't know what's causing the issue

7 hours ago, SoulutionA said:

so no post atm. my pump fan is lighting up but not spinning now and my gpu is having the same issue atm... the vga led is lighting up on the mobo but i don't know what's causing the issue

My suggestion is to slowly check over the build just to be sure all is nice and snug. I remember one time I accidentally had the GPU PCIe connector slightly unseated.

Then remove the GPU and use your iGPU and see if it POSTs. Keep removing one part at a time until you get a picture on your monitor. That will narrow down your issue

On 3/23/2022 at 7:42 AM, Frizz said:

My suggestion is to slowly check over the build just to be sure all is nice and snug. I remember one time I accidentally had the GPU PCIe connector slightly unseated.

Then remove the GPU and use your iGPU and see if it POSTs. Keep removing one part at a time until you get a picture on your monitor. That will narrow down your issue

hello again,

the pc is getting the vga error still after swapping psu and mobo along with reseating gpu. Do you think its the 5950x causing it?

51 minutes ago, SoulutionA said:

hello again,

the pc is getting the vga error still after swapping psu and mobo along with reseating gpu. Do you think its the 5950x causing it?

Maybe, try putting in the 5700g and also the discrete GPU and use the discrete one and see if it crashes. If so then it isn't the CPU it's the GPU

I don't remember have you tried another PCIe slot for the GPU?

• 4 weeks later...