Experiencing Choppy Graphics (3070 T.I.)

Munich44
Go to solution Solved by Munich44,
8 hours ago, Moonzy said:

try switching PCIe gen to 3.0, see if it helps

So I went into my bios and switched from auto to gen3. This seems to be working. At least in games my FPS looks night and day better. Looking at GPU-Z my Bus Interface showed PCIe X16 4.0 @ X8 1.1 (with the auto setting). Once I switched from auto to gen3 it went to PCIe X16 4.0 @ 8 3.0. So now my goal for the day is to try to understand what's happened. I can not change in the bios from auto to gen4 or gen5 and get the same results as when I changed from auto to gen3. Should I be worrying about this or just go with what's working and not push my luck?

Hello everyone!

I'm having an extremely rough go at my newest build. I have Windows 10 (Pro) installed and updated through version 21H2. I have the most current bios (1304) for my mobo. I have the most recent graphics drivers (511.79). I have uninstalled and reinstalled with pc resets in between driver installs to make sure I am getting as clean of an install as I know. I have hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling enabled. But my graphics just continue to stutter when in games that are worse than when I had my 1080T.I. Just ready to pull my hair out. I have built about 10 PCs for the last 22 years and never had a problem. But apparently all my chickens are coming home to roost with this one.

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K - 114.4%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070-Ti - 67.3%
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 421.5%
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 2TB - 107.9%
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB - 127.7%
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 459.3%
RAM: Corsair CMT32GX5M2B5200C40 4x16GB - 173.2%
MBD: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI

Custom water loop for CPU and GPU Temps are showing about 30° C.

any adapters to use your monitor?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

any adapters to use your monitor?

Display port from GPU to monitor no adapters.

18 minutes ago, Munich44 said:

I have uninstalled and reinstalled with pc resets in between driver installs to make sure I am getting as clean of an install as I know.

did you use DDU to uninstall drivers?

42 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

did you use DDU to uninstall drivers?

I just tried this doing this and still getting choppy frames.

1 hour ago, Munich44 said:

I just tried this doing this and still getting choppy frames.

Is it consistent in all games or just isolated?

Beyond this, what u can try is trying a clean install of windows and see if issue persists, maybe try it on a spare SSD, if u have any

Just now, Moonzy said:

Is it consistent in all games or just isolated?

Beyond this, what u can try is trying a clean install of windows and see if issue persists, maybe try it on a spare SSD, if u have any

Consistent across all games. This was a clean install (less than 24 hours ago). 

44 minutes ago, Munich44 said:

Consistent across all games. This was a clean install (less than 24 hours ago). 

clean install as in, from USB drive or factory reset? factory reset is not reliable

tried switching pcie to gen 3.0?

VRAM on GPU? Resolutions involved? Simultaneous screen recording?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

clean install as in, from USB drive or factory reset? factory reset is not reliable

tried switching pcie to gen 3.0?

This is the first install ever on this PC. Used a USB to get Windows 10 on it.  

1 minute ago, Munich44 said:

This is the first install ever on this PC. Used a USB to get Windows 10 on it.  

4 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

VRAM on GPU? Resolutions involved? Simultaneous screen recording?

8GB VRAM. Resolution 3440x1440. No simultaneous screen recording.

Higher resolution could definitely be messing with it. My native desktop resolution is 3840x2160, but I have to set American Trucking Simulator for 2560x1440 even with my RTX3060ti, and I've figured out that to record any higher than 848x720p, I'm really going to have to fight with this thing if I want quality.

I assume you are probably aware of this and have already checked, but if not, being a new build (and not sure how much effect this will have), my board did not overclock the RAM by default, it had to be enabled. Until I did this, my recent build thought its DDR4-3200 was DDR4-2666.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

8 hours ago, Moonzy said:

So I went into my bios and switched from auto to gen3. This seems to be working. At least in games my FPS looks night and day better. Looking at GPU-Z my Bus Interface showed PCIe X16 4.0 @ X8 1.1 (with the auto setting). Once I switched from auto to gen3 it went to PCIe X16 4.0 @ 8 3.0. So now my goal for the day is to try to understand what's happened. I can not change in the bios from auto to gen4 or gen5 and get the same results as when I changed from auto to gen3. Should I be worrying about this or just go with what's working and not push my luck?

10 hours ago, Munich44 said:

Should I be worrying about this or just go with what's working and not push my luck?

You can worry about it because for some reason, gen 4 isn't stable, you can start RMA things to find out which parts might be defective and what not

But, gen 3x16 is still good enough for many things, including your 3070ti, so it's entirely up to you if you want to go through that process or not

I've seen multiple cases of such a thing happening, though first time for Intel

i feel like adding a couple things
Your system SHOULD be gen 4 capable, from CPU, to motherboard, to GPU, your CPU and board SHOULD be gen 5 capable even, GPU is only at gen 4, so there's certainly something funky going on if it's not stable at gen 4, because gen 5 is probably impossible if that's the case, so you may affected by future upgrades and what not

18 hours ago, Munich44 said:

Looking at GPU-Z my Bus Interface showed PCIe X16 4.0 @ X8 1.1 (with the auto setting). Once I switched from auto to gen3 it went to PCIe X16 4.0 @ 8 3.0.

GPU-Z bus width is only accurate under load afaik, on idle it shows wrong stuffs