HP EliteDesk 705 Mini no boot

Hi All, just wondering if anyone has any specific experience with these machines. I ordered one from eBay since you can get them very cheaply and wanted something to play around with. It was sold as used and in working condition, however it appears it was DOA. I tried multiple different power supplies (since these use a laptop style PSU). Tried different amounts of RAM in different locations, still nothing, stone dead. Contacted the seller about this and they claim that it's actually because I am using a generic power supply and some Dell power supplies and that these PC's only work on HP branded power supplies. That doesn't sound right to me? I even was able to back probe the power input and I could see 19.5v DC coming into the board which again pointed me to the PSU not being the issue...

Any hope here or is it likely that I'm just out $35?

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 馃檪

These boxes are kinda picky about the power supplies they use, so it's not impossible that the seller is correct.

See if a local repair shop has one you could test with in person before buying?

If you try to power on one of these with a power supply that is not powerful enough the power LED will blink red and the internal speaker will beep a post code. I have never tried a non HP PSU on them, but if that was the issue I would think it would give the same post code as when you try a PSU not powerful enough聽

4 minutes ago, Selle said:

If you try to power on one of these with a power supply that is not powerful enough the power LED will blink red and the internal speaker will beep a post code. I have never tried a non HP PSU on them, but if that was the issue I would think it would give the same post code as when you try a PSU not powerful enough聽

Yeah that's what the seller said as well, however that was not what I observed. This one was stone dead, no lights, no beeps, no sign of life with either a 65w power supply or a 330w power supply. I can't imagine that a 330w psu would not be enough...

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 馃檪

It's usually not a question of being enough or not, it's a question of the machine communicating with the supply, checking that it's the correct genuine HP model, and refusing to work if it's not.聽

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2