Decent Free Firewall? ( Windows )

Exaco
Go to solution Solved by LWM723,
Simplewall is for single pc's not servers.
https://www.henrypp.org/product/simplewall

Hey all, maybe there's decent free firewall which can block every connection and has notification with an option to choose allow/block the connection?
GlassWire is perfect but it's paid, Comodo Firewall does that too, but I've heard it's quite outdated and not very good, also the UI is kinda "bulky" and far from modern, notification alone taking like 1/8 of screen space.

Windows firewall can be configured quite extensively if you put in the effort. You can block and allow connections, programs, and users as well as define safe and unsafe networks. Might be worth spending a few hours playing around with as its built in and free.

7 minutes ago, no.lens.cap said:

Windows firewall can be configured quite extensively if you put in the effort. You can block and allow connections, programs, and users as well as define safe and unsafe networks. Might be worth spending a few hours playing around with as its built in and free.

Problem is that I won't see suspicious connections ( e.g. If I catch Keylogger or RAT ) or even won't block some specific app completely as all the .exe files in bin isn't enough most of the time.

Also I'm not nerd enough to use Wireshark or Portmaster 馃槃

You can set a default deny across the board to catch things. You can also have windows notifications triggered by the Event log. So if traffic hits a deny rule and you have set it to log an event, a notification in your task bar would be generated as well.聽

Simplewall is exactly what you're looking for. I've been using it for years. It's free, portable and it blocks windows telemetry. Nothing can sneak past it.

33 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Simplewall is exactly what you're looking for. I've been using it for years. It's free, portable and it blocks windows telemetry. Nothing can sneak past it.

It looks like it's OS on it's own which is great for servers I guess, I need real-time control and real-time monitoring for a single PC.

I've ended up using Portmaster which is pretty powerful, but sort of annoying compared to GlassWire as it requires way more setting up e.g. instead of clicking Allow/Deny few times you gotta navigate and manage everything in the app, also monitor and wait for connections because it has no working notifications, pretty much it's a huge hassle to use, but simply because it's pretty damn powerful and super in-depth. For example I've set the default to Block ( Prompt ) which asking me what I wanna do with each connection and with GlassWire it's enough to click few times on Allow/Deny, meanwhile Portmaster has a ton more stuff and allowing a connection for a single app can take anywhere from 10sec to 20min of setting up and troubleshooting, also it has no notifications working, so I kinda have to check it manually from time to time which isn't ideal. But overall it's definitely decent firewall.