PC won’t post after changing CPU’s.

CarsonReynolds

Hello, I upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 5 3600 to a Ryzen 5 5600x, and now it’s not posting. I thought it was most likely that I didn’t update my BIOS to a version where it will support the new CPU, but when I swapped back to the old CPU it’s also not posting. It was working perfectly fine before I put the new CPU in. I have removed the CMOS and put it back in, I have unplugged the GPU and replugged it, I have removed the RAM and reinstalled them, and I have swapped the cables to the display and none of them have worked. I don’t know what else to do, so I would appreciate it if someone helped me. Thanks

check for CPU pin or socket damage (rare)

take the system out of the case work on table for the moment,

Connect the bare minimum, gpu, cpu, cooler, psu, 1 stick of memory.

See if you can post that way. If you do, update the bios then and there.

What motherboard make and model?

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

17 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

What motherboard make and model?

Asus Prime X-570 P

37 minutes ago, CarsonReynolds said:

Asus Prime X-570 P

I know that several Ryzen systems I have built over the last couple years were slow on the first boot with a new CPU. How long are you giving it? I'd swap back to your 3600, clear CMOS by shorting the pins (the little jumper labeled CLRTC at the bottom of the board) and then try turning it on. Let it sit for a couple minutes as long as the fans are spinning and it's actually running, let it self configure and see what it does. Then update your BIOS to revision 4204 from the Asus support site. Power off, swap CPUs and CLRTC again and let it sit and think about what it's done again.

Give it a shot and see if it works, I won't guarantee anything though, it's just what I've personally seen over the last couple builds with Ryzen.

The last three (2600, 3600X and 3800X) systems I built had to sit and think about it for a few minutes before they went past POST the first time. Had me on edge that's for sure.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Have you tried a new CMOS battery?Screenshot_2022-03-19-09-25-13-090_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.43b74763834a351edae0ab27363f71f7.jpg

• 1 year later...

For what it's worth, I had the same issue.

Figured out, my display was too high resolution... Connected to a 1080p display instead, and it posted.

Bios couldn't handle dp connection to a 2k monitor, and so was stuck at no video error or something, idk, no video to see, lol. Led controller wasn't even lighting up. Only the fans were spinning, and only on low.