Jump to content

Windows isn’t always better……

15 hours ago, Hachi_Roku256563 said:

*Considering its not a 2000 dollar desktop thats drawing 1000ws*

I guess they thought people could use there brains and put it into contrast for the hardware.

You think you need a $2000 desktop to crack 30FPS in the titles steamdeck can manage? An APU can do that. I would actually like to see how the iPad Air with M1 stacks up in performance vs the steam deck actually. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

You think you need a $2000 desktop to crack 30FPS in the titles steamdeck can manage? An APU can do that.

A Ryzen APU in a laptop would perform better, but you can't get one for $400, and it wouldn't be as portable as a handheld formfactor steam deck.

27 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

I would actually like to see how the iPad Air with M1 stacks up in performance vs the steam deck actually. 

Thats apples to oranges though, you're not going to run steam games on an ipad, steam link doesn't really count.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A Ryzen APU in a laptop would perform better, but you can't get one for $400, and it wouldn't be as portable as a handheld formfactor steam deck.

It would actually be able to run games at a playable state though. 

33 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Thats apples to oranges though, you're not going to run steam games on an ipad, steam link doesn't really count.

You can download games onto a iPad and you can get xcloud. You can also actually use it to do other things rather than install windows and have to work around not being able to do half the shit you want 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

A Ryzen APU in a laptop would perform better, but you can't get one for $400, and it wouldn't be as portable as a handheld formfactor steam deck.

Thats apples to oranges though, you're not going to run steam games on an ipad, steam link doesn't really count.

the issue is, why not just get a better laptop?

Sure some of them are crazy expensive, and more so just for a a decent CPU and GPU combo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

iPad and you can get xcloud

and so can a steam deck

thats a dumb point

8 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

You think you need a $2000 desktop to crack 30FPS in the titles steamdeck can manage

Find one OTHER 400 dollar MOBILE device with equivlant performance to the deck

ill wait

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

the issue is, why not just get a better laptop?

Sure some of them are crazy expensive, and more so just for a a decent CPU and GPU combo.

No where NEAR as portable as a steam deck

its in a diffrent dimension really

Would like to see someone game on a laptop while standing up on a train...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hachi_Roku256563 said:

and so can a steam deck

thats a dumb point

Find one OTHER 400 dollar MOBILE device with equivlant performance to the deck

ill wait

 

The iPad? On wait that’s closer to 300, dammit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

the issue is, why not just get a better laptop?

Sure some of them are crazy expensive, and more so just for a a decent CPU and GPU combo.

For mainly portability, and convenience of not having to carry a laptop and a controller.

17 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

It would actually be able to run games at a playable state though. 

A game being playable is a subjective claim, for what the steam deck can do, 30fps in some games is fine IMO.

17 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

You can download games onto a iPad and you can get xcloud. You can also actually use it to do other things rather than install windows and have to work around not being able to do half the shit you want 

Xbox cloud only works if you have a decent enough internet connection, and you can't use xbox cloud gaming on a plane. And if you really need windows then the steam deck isn't something for people that want to play games which aren't in their steam library.

4 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

The iPad? On wait that’s closer to 300, dammit.

Except you mentioned the M1 ipad, a $600 tablet.

I've heard the steam deck is being sold close to what it costs to make or at a loss, so not much else can compete with the steam deck, you get a full handheld PC which can do more than just run mobile games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

For mainly portability, and convenience of not having to carry a laptop and a controller.

A game being playable is a subjective claim, for what the steam deck can do, 30fps in some games is fine IMO.

Xbox cloud only works if you have a decent enough internet connection, and you can't use xbox cloud gaming on a plane. And if you really need windows then the steam deck isn't something for people that want to play games which aren't in their steam library.

Except you mentioned the M1 ipad, a $600 tablet.

Actually no because the 30FPS average with constant stuttering due to sub 10fps mins isn’t playable.

 

I mean the M1 just isn’t fair it demolishes the steam deck in performance. The A13 in the base iPad is roughly level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

The iPad? On wait that’s closer to 300, dammit.

iPad is not a gaming Device

comparing a Ipad and a steam deck is like Comparning a Surface Pro to an iPad

they are VERY diffrent devices

Price is irrlevant when it has almost no games no controls

also funny enough

the cheapest ipad is 759 lmfao

and it only comes with 64 gig of storage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Actually no because the 30FPS average with constant stuttering due to sub 10fps mins isn’t playable.

You keep saying this but it means nothing

you havent provided game res settings ect

Some games will run better some will run worse

Stop saying the same garbage that means nothing

10 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

I mean the M1 just isn’t fair it demolishes the steam deck in performance. The A13 in the base iPad is roughly level. 

Its also Completely irrelevant as it cant run games

you dont buy an ipad or a mac as a gaming device

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Hachi_Roku256563 said:

You keep saying this but it means nothing

you havent provided game res settings ect

Some games will run better some will run worse

Stop saying the same garbage that means nothing

It is literally in the fucking video. 

19 hours ago, Hachi_Roku256563 said:

Its also Completely irrelevant as it cant run games

you dont buy an ipad or a mac as a gaming device

People do? Just because you don’t doesn’t mean others don’t. Also I didn’t mention Mac. Also it’s better to buy something that can game and doesn’t advertise it vs something that advertises it can game and then can’t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Hachi_Roku256563 said:

iPad is not a gaming Device...

Price is irrlevant when it has almost no games no controls

lol what? Mobile gaming makes more money than any other segment. Sure, most of that is smartphones, but the iPad definitely doesn't have "almost no games." Hell, there's currently multiple lawsuits being fought over Fortnite, the biggest game in the world over the past few years, on mobile devices including the iPad.

 

Now, you (I assume) and I don't play games on an iPad, but saying that the platform has "almost no games" just makes you look ignorant at best and elitist at worst.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-HD3 | RAM: 1x8GB 1866MHz G.Skill Ripjaws X | GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC | PSU: Corsair CX500M | Case: NZXT Source 220 | SSD: PNY CS2111 240GB + PNY CS900 1TB | Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB273K
Yes, I need to buy a new computer and yes, I upgraded the GPU last year when I came to the front of EVGA's queue and didn't know when I'd next be able to get one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2022 at 7:36 AM, Imbadatnames said:

Actually no because the 30FPS average with constant stuttering due to sub 10fps mins isn’t playable.

In what games though? There are plenty of games in the steam library which can run at 30 to 60fps, despite SteamOS and Proton limiting what can run on the steam deck.

On 3/15/2022 at 7:36 AM, Imbadatnames said:

I mean the M1 just isn’t fair it demolishes the steam deck in performance. The A13 in the base iPad is roughly level. 

Again its not even a comparison, an ipad is only going to run iOS games unless you use a streaming service, and then you don't even need an ipad for that, and an ipad isn't going to run steam games.

2 hours ago, Andrewrobert said:

Now, you (I assume) and I don't play games on an iPad, but saying that the platform has "almost no games" just makes you look ignorant at best and elitist at worst.

An ipad isn't going to run the same games as a steam deck, and I doubt someone buying an ipad is buying it just for gaming because an ipad isn't a gaming device, it is elitist to say the steam deck sucks because it doesn't run games at 4k 120fps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

In what games though? There are plenty of games in the steam library which can run at 30 to 60fps, despite SteamOS and Proton limiting what can run on the steam deck.

Maybe watch the video? Valve also didn’t state “plenty of games” they stated and I quote “the latest AAA games”. That is on the main page of the steamdeck website. 

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Again its not even a comparison, an ipad is only going to run iOS games unless you use a streaming service, and then you don't even need an ipad for that, and an ipad isn't going to run steam games.

An ipad isn't going to run the same games as a steam deck, and I doubt someone buying an ipad is buying it just for gaming because an ipad isn't a gaming device, it is elitist to say the steam deck sucks because it doesn't run games at 4k 120fps.

Games are released on iPadOS you know, I mean PUBG is available on there and is currently the 7th most played game on steam by current player count 5th by peak and people do genuinely buy iPads just for games. 

 

I’m saying the steamdeck sucks because it cannot perform to the standards the manufacturer claims. It’s also being raved about by the same people who criticised the switch for running some games at 30FPS which is just hypocritical. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Andrewrobert said:

Now, you (I assume) and I don't play games on an iPad, but saying that the platform has "almost no games" just makes you look ignorant at best and elitist at worst.

what i say when i mean that

is the number of games on ipad

that the steam deck runs is most lilley not even double digits

52 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

the latest AAA games”.

Formula 1 2021

Cyberpunk 2077

You would agree both are AAA titles

F1 one is MUCH eaiser to run the Cyberpunk

so this statment still means nothing

55 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

buy iPads just for games. 

Again its a diffrent library of games so incompraable

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Imbadatnames said:

Maybe watch the video? Valve also didn’t state “plenty of games” they stated and I quote “the latest AAA games”. That is on the main page of the steamdeck website. 

Well its just common sense then, I'm not sure how anyone could reasonably expect a $400 PC, which is what the steam deck essentially is, to run cyberpunk 2077 at full settings.

But the example already mentioned, like Formula 1 2021 can also be a AAA game, and runs on much more hardware, saying "the latest AAA games" is a statement that doesn't really mean anything.

1 hour ago, Imbadatnames said:

Games are released on iPadOS you know, I mean PUBG is available on there and is currently the 7th most played game on steam by current player count 5th by peak and people do genuinely buy iPads just for games. 

 

I’m saying the steamdeck sucks because it cannot perform to the standards the manufacturer claims. It’s also being raved about by the same people who criticised the switch for running some games at 30FPS which is just hypocritical. 

People buy an ipad for iOS games, not for PC games, thats a completely different library of games.

And I still don't see where Steam is lying about what games it can run, Valve has a compatibility list of what games run on the steam deck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2022 at 7:31 AM, Imbadatnames said:

I don’t get the people raving about the steam deck. Since when has 30FPS with dips far below that at min settings at sub 1080p been acceptable? Or is it just because this is valve and not a traditional console so therefore they can do no wrong. 

Not sure why you're describing the performance like that. Just like any PC, it's going to depend on the game. As far as the resolution - 720p is a very reasonable resolution on a tiny screen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×