Dell 3007WFP 30" monitor showing no picture and power button light stays a red color.

ChildTaekoRebel

I bought a 2560x1600 16:10 Dell 3007wfp monitor for $70. I understand that the display needs a Dual Link DVI-D cable and connection to the gpu to run. When the monitor is not connected to the gpu, it goes through its color tests. When the monitor is connected to the gpu, it shows no picture. The monitor is being seen perfectly fine by Windows and Nvidia Control Panel and this is similar behavior to what I've read about this monitor online so I'm pretty sure it's not broken. I bought what I thought was a Dual Link DVI-D cable from a reputable company, though its wire is suspiciously thin, and connected it to my gpu. My gpu in this case is an old EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB which has two Dual Link DVI-I connectors and a small HDMI connector. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've heard that active adapters exist but I don't know if I should get one of those or just get another Dual Link DVI-D cable. Can a Dual Link DVI-I connector run a Dual Link DVI-D only display? I want to get this display working but I'm on a tight budget. 

Figured it out. I just got ripped off by a terrible fake DVI cable that couldn't even output an image. An actual Dual Link DVI D cable fixed the problem and I can run it at full resolution.