GPU fans stopped listening to MSI afterburner, they are loud and random

Dear forum readers,

I need help with some rouge GPU fans.
I have an ASUS ROG STRIX 2070 Super OC (ROG-STRIX-RTX2070S-O8G-GAMING) that I bought in january 2020, and it has been working flawlessly ever since. I've been mining crypto with the card with Nicehash for about one year now, mostly 24-0, and I always used it for gaming since I got it.

The card was ultra smooth and fine, I usually used it with max power limitation (41%), 50% fan speed, 400 memory OC and -400 core oc, with temps around 48C, and it was mining at a stable 39,9 MH and fans pretty quiet. While gaming I set the OC to default and it worked as it should.

A few days ago when I turned the PC off for about a day and then on again, when I turned it on, the GPU fans (I've disconnected the gpu power and checked for noise, it is the GPU for sure) were randomly going crazy about 2-3 minutes after startup. I start the pc, windows boots, and a few minutes pass with the GPU's fans not even spinning a bit, then they randomly take on like 80%-100% i dont know what speed for no reason, (temp is 32C, no load at all), and they are LOUD. They also make weird noises, and sometimes they go slower for a few seconds and go back to loud again, sometimes they make veeery very weird noises like they are struggling or changing speed multiple times in a second or I don't know. All the while MSI afterburner is still set to the same mining OC, and I tried to set it to low fan speeds but it doesen't do anything, it just doesen't work. I've reinstalled afterburner, tried to check for any other fan speec control apps running but had no luck.

My computer is so loud because of this that I can't mine on it anymore, since it is in my room, and it even bothers me while gaming, it's so loud.

Did my GPU give up (as in faulty fans or  ruined fans or something)? If that's the case, I still have 10 months of warranty, would that be a solution? Or maybe this is some software or BIOS thing that I could possibly fix myself.

After the noise started, I cleaned out the GPU fans of all the dust on them, noise and weirdness persisted.

Thank you if you can help!

Edit: If I put the fan speed to minimum in afterburner (25%) They actually go a little quiet(er) now, but they still randomly try to go faster and after some time they start going fast again. Seems like something is forcing it to fluctuate in speed...

1 hour ago, ProPigeon said:

Dear forum readers,

I need help with some rouge GPU fans.
I have an ASUS ROG STRIX 2070 Super OC (ROG-STRIX-RTX2070S-O8G-GAMING) that I bought in january 2020, and it has been working flawlessly ever since. I've been mining crypto with the card with Nicehash for about one year now, mostly 24-0, and I always used it for gaming since I got it.

The card was ultra smooth and fine, I usually used it with max power limitation (41%), 50% fan speed, 400 memory OC and -400 core oc, with temps around 48C, and it was mining at a stable 39,9 MH and fans pretty quiet. While gaming I set the OC to default and it worked as it should.

A few days ago when I turned the PC off for about a day and then on again, when I turned it on, the GPU fans (I've disconnected the gpu power and checked for noise, it is the GPU for sure) were randomly going crazy about 2-3 minutes after startup. I start the pc, windows boots, and a few minutes pass with the GPU's fans not even spinning a bit, then they randomly take on like 80%-100% i dont know what speed for no reason, (temp is 32C, no load at all), and they are LOUD. They also make weird noises, and sometimes they go slower for a few seconds and go back to loud again, sometimes they make veeery very weird noises like they are struggling or changing speed multiple times in a second or I don't know. All the while MSI afterburner is still set to the same mining OC, and I tried to set it to low fan speeds but it doesen't do anything, it just doesen't work. I've reinstalled afterburner, tried to check for any other fan speec control apps running but had no luck.

My computer is so loud because of this that I can't mine on it anymore, since it is in my room, and it even bothers me while gaming, it's so loud.

Did my GPU give up (as in faulty fans or  ruined fans or something)? If that's the case, I still have 10 months of warranty, would that be a solution? Or maybe this is some software or BIOS thing that I could possibly fix myself.

After the noise started, I cleaned out the GPU fans of all the dust on them, noise and weirdness persisted.

Thank you if you can help!

Edit: If I put the fan speed to minimum in afterburner (25%) They actually go a little quiet(er) now, but they still randomly try to go faster and after some time they start going fast again. Seems like something is forcing it to fluctuate in speed...

It sounds like your GPU vBIOS could be messing up. Personally I don't get into that as it is very easy to brick the card by flashing it wrong (even the board revision matters).

Try downloading DDU and run that in safe mode

If that doesn't work try a super CMOS clear: Turn off the system and pull the power cable out. Remove the CMOS battery and hold down the power button one minute. 

Try another PCIe slot for the GPU

Another thing you could check if if can see it. Is your GPU fan cables secure? Might have wiggled out.

2 hours ago, Frizz said:

It sounds like your GPU vBIOS could be messing up. Personally I don't get into that as it is very easy to brick the card by flashing it wrong (even the board revision matters).

Try downloading DDU and run that in safe mode

If that doesn't work try a super CMOS clear: Turn off the system and pull the power cable out. Remove the CMOS battery and hold down the power button one minute. 

Try another PCIe slot for the GPU

Another thing you could check if if can see it. Is your GPU fan cables secure? Might have wiggled out.

Interesting take, I'll try those tomorrow.