Firefox Android PWA: push notifications not working

Eiri

Browser, version and OS:

Firefox 97.3.0

Android 11

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

1. Install the LTT forum as a Progressive Web App on your homescreen. Open it through there.
  2. Go to notification settings to turn on push notifications.
  3. Notice that they're already on.
  4. Try to turn them on again. It looks like it's doing something and validating. All seems fine.
  5. Back to Firefox itself (not the PWA), go to Settings > Privacy and security > Site permissions, and notice that indeed, linustechtips.com is allowed to send notifications.
  6. Go back to LTT's notification settings and ask it to send you push notifications for every category of notification.
  7. Go do other things on your phone.

What happened?

Come back an hour later, with new responses to your thread, but there are only in-app notifications. You never got a mobile push notification.

What did you expect to happen?

I would've thought it would've sent me push notifications

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: 

Any other relevant details:

I tried removing the permission to send notifications from linustechtips.com and re-enabling it, but it didn't seem to change anything.

If it's a cloudflare error, what was the ray ID from the bottom of the error page?

Edited by Eiri

Do you know of any other websites where PWA notifications do work in Firefox for Android? We're not doing anything particularly weird, and it does work with Firefox desktop, so my first assumption would be that this is a Firefox issue.

HTTP/2 203

I've never tried it. While I love the concept of PWAs in principle, up until now I was only using major social networks that have their own native apps, do I haven't had a chance to try it out.

For what it's worth, I don't seem to be getting any notifications from the ordinary Firefox website either, so I don't think the PWA in particular is the issue.

I've never tried working with notifications myself, but there are cases where Firefox and Chrome have slightly different interpretations of the spec, and you have to do special things in your codet to account for that. Maybe that's one of those cases?

A quick glance at MDN seems to reveal that notifications are supported on Firefox for Android, in theory. 

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/notification

Edited by Eiri