Unusual Audio Problem

Cr33ps
Go to solution Solved by An0maly_76,

My guess would be that the internal contacts on the main speaker's SP-OUT jack are damaged or worn-out. That's the only thing that would explain the secondary working by itself, but not when plugged in to the main. Time to upgrade if you ask me. Those things look like they're from the early 1990s.

I have these 2 old speakers but only one of them works at a time, so basically there is a main speaker with a volume dial, power plug, and a power indicator, it has a second plug on it which I assume the second speaker plugs into. The second speaker only has one cable which is a 3.5mm jack. When I plug the second speaker into the main one it does not work but the main speaker works. When I plug the second speaker in by it's self it works. 

Also my laptop has an issue where you need to restart it or it won't register headphones/speakers but I don't think it is the cause.

Quote me for the answer and please Mark As Solution if I solved your problem

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

15 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

I have these 2 old speakers but only one of them works at a time, so basically there is a main speaker with a volume dial, power plug, and a power indicator, it has a second plug on it which I assume the second speaker plugs into. The second speaker only has one cable which is a 3.5mm jack. When I plug the second speaker into the main one it does not work but the main speaker works. When I plug the second speaker in by it's self it works. 

Also my laptop has an issue where you need to restart it or it won't register headphones/speakers but I don't think it is the cause.

Are you sure that where you are plugging it into is an output? Do you have a picture of these? A brand?

My guess would be that the internal contacts on the main speaker's SP-OUT jack are damaged or worn-out. That's the only thing that would explain the secondary working by itself, but not when plugged in to the main. Time to upgrade if you ask me. Those things look like they're from the early 1990s.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Alternately, you could try one of these, but your second speaker wouldn't have volume control from the main speaker, only the PC....

1/8-inch stereo to 1/8-inch L/R pair adapter

Edited by An0maly_76
More info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

49 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

https://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Eris-E3-5-Monitors-Bluetooth/dp/B07Z6P19Y9?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

I ha e the 4.5 inch version of these. I'd avoid the Logitech. There are way better options. 

52 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

I haven't heard them, but Logitech usually makes decent stuff... This is what PC Magazine had to say about these.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

For what it's worth, OP, I have HDMI audio from GPU to a 55" TV without smart features. Audio is patched through 1/8" to a Knox 4-output headphone amplifier, for different volume level control to my current rig's Line In, a set of Sony headphones, my Digitech RP-250 guitar effects pedal line in, and a 600W Onkyo home theatre system with 5.1 Dolby and powered subwoofer on a sesame seed bun. I could relegate my PC's audio from the HDMI out to the Line Out, but I have other things in mind for my setup that I think this would just work better. Sometimes I use the TV for other things besides the PC, and this makes for less hassle and input changing.

I'm not sure what your budget is and the level of sound quality you'd like, but you might consider a budget-minded 2.1 soundbar, most have line-in and are Bluetooth capable.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

For what it's worth, OP, I have HDMI audio from GPU to a 55" TV without smart features. Audio is patched through 1/8" to a Knox 4-output headphone amplifier, for different volume level control to my current rig's Line In, a set of Sony headphones, my Digitech RP-250 guitar effects pedal line in, and a 600W Onkyo home theatre system with 5.1 Dolby and powered subwoofer on a sesame seed bun.

I'm not sure what your budget is and the level of sound quality you'd like, but you might consider a budget-minded 2.1 soundbar, most have line-in and are Bluetooth capable.

Budget up to au $100, want good price to performance speakers

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

2 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

Budget up to au $100, want good price to performance speakers

These are priced in USD, but you might check them out...

Amazon - 2.1 Soundbars best rated under $100

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

These are priced in USD, but you might check them out...

Amazon - 2.1 Soundbars best rated under $100

Most of them are brands that I don't know and might be hard for support if something goes wrong so I think the Logitech Z407 is a better choice, thanks.

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

5 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

Most of them are brands that I don't know and might be hard for support if something goes wrong so I think the Logitech Z407 is a better choice, thanks.

Just so you know, I made a point to show options rated 4-star or better.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

5 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Just so you know, I made a point to show options rated 4-star or better.

Most of them are subwoofers though

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

The pic you showed indicated a bass feature, I assumed you'd want that in the upgrade. So not necessary? Then most any soundbar would work for you, 2.1s include a subwoofer.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

The pic you showed indicated a bass feature, I assumed you'd want that in the upgrade. So not necessary? Then most any soundbar would work for you, 2.1s include a subwoofer.

I don't know much about speakers but I don't want one long subwoofer, maybe a rectangle 

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides