I need help with my old laptop!

Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

You have two RAM slots, only one is populated. Get a kit that has two 8 gig DDR3 1333 SO-DIMMs and you'll max it out.

I'm reasonably sure this is the manual for your laptop, or at least a model that's very similar to it:

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201409/20140901120906140/Win7_Manual_eng.pdf

I want to upgrade my old laptop in the following months, however I cannot determine nor find the exact model I have. I want to upgrade the RAM and the Hard Disk. Windows 10 shows that I have 4 RAM slots (3rd slot in use, 4gb), however the models that I found on the Internet list that the laptop has 2 RAM slots. Because I do not have a manual and cannot find one on the Internet, I don't know whether this laptop from 2012 supports more than 8GB of RAM 1333MHz. That's my whole concern, if it does than that's great. 

Here's my laptops specs

CPU
            Intel Core i3 2350M @ 2.30GHz    54 °C
            Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
        RAM
            4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
        Motherboard
            SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO. LTD. 300E4A/300E5A/300E7A/3430EA/3530EA (CPU)
        Graphics
            Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
            Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Samsung)
            1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 520MX (Samsung)    49 °C
            ForceWare version: 391.35
            SLI Disabled
        Storage
            465GB Hitachi HTS547550A9E384 (SATA )    43 °C
        Optical Drives
            TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-208BB
        Audio
            Realtek High Definition Audio
Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

For a laptop from 2012 it honestly stands strong even with a 1 RAM slot and a weak HD. The Intel CPU is still a beast, the only thing that backs me down is the slow HD and the 1 RAM slot.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

Your processor supports up to 16 gigs of DDR3 1333.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/53438/intel-core-i32350m-processor-3m-cache-2-30-ghz/specifications.html

Any 2.5" SSD should just drop right in as a replacement for your hard drive.

Not sure how much more we can help without knowing what model your laptop is. Are there any labels anywhere on the chassis that have more information? Is it a name brand?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Your processor supports up to 16 gigs of DDR3 1333.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/53438/intel-core-i32350m-processor-3m-cache-2-30-ghz/specifications.html

Any 2.5" SSD should just drop right in as a replacement for your hard drive.

Not sure how much more we can help without knowing what model your laptop is. Are there any labels anywhere on the chassis that have more information? Is it a name brand?

Now hyped because it supports up to 16GB RAM.

This is the closest thing I could find Samsung NP300E4A-A04PH Series 3 Notebook

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

*Should* support 16 gigs of RAM.

Shut the laptop down, pop the bottom cover off, and see how many SODIMM slots you have.

I'll do it but it will take some time because I don't have the proper equipment.

Okay here it is IMG_20220302_145333.thumb.jpg.229df1d74d1d048b2036ebebbcfb6568.jpgIMG_20220302_145358.thumb.jpg.6861ccfb99bb4eacf9e78cfa8b1c2552.jpg

You have two RAM slots, only one is populated. Get a kit that has two 8 gig DDR3 1333 SO-DIMMs and you'll max it out.

I'm reasonably sure this is the manual for your laptop, or at least a model that's very similar to it:

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201409/20140901120906140/Win7_Manual_eng.pdf

22 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

Okay here it is 

Layered slot, just toss in another 8gb stick of 1333mhz ddr3

@NeedfuldoerThank you! I'll get a kit with 2x8 1333Mhz. Also thanks for the manual.

The bottom cover "compartment cover" has 2 thermal pads stick to it (the HD is right under the cover). Should I change these thermal pads in the future? I've never done this before so I don't have any experience (I have little to no experience with Laptops though). For better thermal performance I mean. I looked at the pads and they're glued as rock to the cover, I guess it's to prevent them from falling from high heat. I used to use this laptop a lot back for gaming and it was good, however it would overheat a lot, so I to usually went to the computer tech to fix it before buying a cooling pad. I've read that thermal pads deteriorate over time so it would be good replace every replaceable pad in the laptop.

One thing that the computer tech screwed me over the years was, they never cleaned the laptop form the inside nor changed the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. My brother opened the laptop (it was his first time) a year ago and it was filled with dust and the thermal paste dried up. Well got that thing fixed though.

@8tgI'll just throw 2x8 1333Mhz in. I don't want to mix RAM from different manufacturers, because I used to do that on my first PC (I had not exp at the time) and it didn't go well.