Can you hand carry a sealed AIO in an international flight?

kitnoman

I live in asia and since my mom would be going on a vacation here. I bought an AIO that's not available to be shipped here and had it shipped to her instead, so she can hand carry to me. My question is, does it have to be checked in as a baggage or can it be a part of the carry on baggage instead(since it is still sealed)? She would be coming from LA

I don't see why it couldn't be hand carried. She'll probably be asked to open it and explain wtf it is to security, who are probably hard coded to think that anything they don't understand is a bomb. The ones over here are wired like that, anyway.

Why can't she just ship it to you herself?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

10 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I don't see why it couldn't be hand carried. She'll probably be asked to open it and explain wtf it is to security, who are probably hard coded to think that anything they don't understand is a bomb. The ones over here are wired like that, anyway.

Why can't she just ship it to you herself?

She would be coming here in 2weeks so I can wait. It will cost another $100 if she ship it to me instead and I would probably pay another $20-40 once it arrives in customs if it's not included in the shipping fee. So yeah, check in baggage or hand carry would be better. My mom knows very little when it comes to tech and she just message me that she might take it out of the box and put into her baggage to save space. I said please don't ahahaha she's a bit forgetful so she might miss some screws or braket in the process or accidentally bend the fins of the radiator if she stack it with whatever else she decides to bring.

49 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

check in baggage

That is how I would do it.
Especially since it is an international flight. 
Hand/carry-on luggage might cause problems... Not only does it look weird it also has liquid inside it, 100ml is the limit. They will either take it away from her or make her put the AIO in checked, arguing with them just makes things worse. So spare your mom from trouble and put the AIO in checked baggage.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet