Windows 10 Install Won't Detect SSDs

mouf

I recently picked up a Acer Spin laptop as my new daily driver at work. (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.A9VAA.001) It unfortunately only has a 500gb SSD. No biggie go out and buy a 1 TB 970 evo plus. Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and make my USB like I have done a million times in the past. (Windows 11 isn't supported for some of my work stuff yet) Rip the back off and remove the original drive and install the new 1 TB. Boot to the USB and am greeted with a nice message saying no drives are detected and given the open to "load the drivers" for the SSD. I boot into BIOS and confirm the SSD is recognized and try messing with secure boot/tpm. Attempt to install Windows again and still can't find the drive. Open the system back up and reinstall the original drive along side the new one. Boot into Windows and using disk manager format the new drive to "initialize" it according to my Googling. Still the drive is not recognized in the install process. I reinstall BOTH drives and confirm neither drive is recognized by the Windows installer even though both are recognized in BIOS/Windows. I do some more googling and try the Shift+F10 trick and get to command prompt. Using diskpart also found neither drive is recognized. 

I have not worked with anything newer then a 9900k/Z370. I very familiar with ASUS bios and have no issue disabled CSM, MBR, etc for my Windows 11 install. I have attached photos of the Acer's BIOS. The only real option I see is to enable/disable secure boot and reset/clear TPM. Which I have tried both several times. Am I missing something obvious to get these drives recognized? 

**edit** these photos were taken last night when only the 1 drive was installed. Both are installed now, both recognized by bios, and both not recognized by the windows installer.

PXL_20220301_040938120.jpg

PXL_20220301_040927203.jpg

PXL_20220301_040914385.jpg

Interesting, so with both drives installed, do both drives show up in the boot menus with the boot priority order?  Also, have you tried installing windows with secure boot turned off completely?  What about using a different installer, such as a linux distro or a different version of windows, to see if they recognize the drive?  This seems like a really frustrating problem to have, so I really hope you can solve it!!

9 hours ago, CaptainDarkstar42 said:

Interesting, so with both drives installed, do both drives show up in the boot menus with the boot priority order?  Also, have you tried installing windows with secure boot turned off completely?  What about using a different installer, such as a linux distro or a different version of windows, to see if they recognize the drive?  This seems like a really frustrating problem to have, so I really hope you can solve it!!

The Samsung drive never shows up in the boot order. With both drives in the USB for the installer and the OEM kingston drive show up only.

I have tried it with secure boot completely off and still no luck. I have a feeling it's a bad install media, but unforunately I am traveling tonight and will be gone until Sunday. I was hoping to get it done before I left....

There might be a problem with the Samsung drive too.  I would recommend seeing if you can try a different install media though!

22 hours ago, mouf said:

I recently picked up a Acer Spin laptop as my new daily driver at work. (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.A9VAA.001) It unfortunately only has a 500gb SSD. No biggie go out and buy a 1 TB 970 evo plus. Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and make my USB like I have done a million times in the past. (Windows 11 isn't supported for some of my work stuff yet) Rip the back off and remove the original drive and install the new 1 TB. Boot to the USB and am greeted with a nice message saying no drives are detected and given the open to "load the drivers" for the SSD. I boot into BIOS and confirm the SSD is recognized and try messing with secure boot/tpm. Attempt to install Windows again and still can't find the drive. Open the system back up and reinstall the original drive along side the new one. Boot into Windows and using disk manager format the new drive to "initialize" it according to my Googling. Still the drive is not recognized in the install process. I reinstall BOTH drives and confirm neither drive is recognized by the Windows installer even though both are recognized in BIOS/Windows. I do some more googling and try the Shift+F10 trick and get to command prompt. Using diskpart also found neither drive is recognized. 

I am confused on what you are asking. What is the problem you are facing?

You said: "Boot to the USB and am greeted with a nice message saying no drives are detected and given the open to "load the drivers" for the SSD"
So, what is the problem exactly?

• Go to the manufacture website, and download the SATA controller drivers. Just keep in mind that your SATA controller drivers needs to be extracted (no zip, or exe setup). Windows isn't installed at this stage, just its setup. You want the .inf file and associated files.

• Is it because they don't work? Is that the problem?

• If there is no drivers from the manufacture, then you need to look at which SATA controller your system is using (or chipset), and go to the manufacture website and get the drivers from there.

The issue is that Acer didn't put a SATA Controller (or chipset, if it is integrated in it) that support Windows Basic SATA Drivers. That is all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 7:22 PM, GoodBytes said:

I am confused on what you are asking. What is the problem you are facing?

You said: "Boot to the USB and am greeted with a nice message saying no drives are detected and given the open to "load the drivers" for the SSD"
So, what is the problem exactly?

• Go to the manufacture website, and download the SATA controller drivers. Just keep in mind that your SATA controller drivers needs to be extracted (no zip, or exe setup). Windows isn't installed at this stage, just its setup. You want the .inf file and associated files.

• Is it because they don't work? Is that the problem?

• If there is no drivers from the manufacture, then you need to look at which SATA controller your system is using (or chipset), and go to the manufacture website and get the drivers from there.

The issue is that Acer didn't put a SATA Controller (or chipset, if it is integrated in it) that support Windows Basic SATA Drivers. That is all.

You are correct. A buddy found this for me.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058724/memory-and-storage.html