Not Sure Whether To Get 3080Ti Or 3090

Budget (including currency): 17000₪ (ils) +1000 over budget if necessary

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: a lot of gaming, all the new and old games.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

This is my part list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gCb7hk

Is this an optimal build? Do you have any recommendations to change/reconsider?

I'm not sure if I should go with a 3080Ti instead, because the only difference is the VRAM and I'm not sure how crucial that will be in the future (I don't plan to upgrade my PC in the next 4-5 years).

I'm buying it this month, I have a 4TB HDD that I'll be using from my old PC, no peripherals are needed, and i play at 1440p144hz.

Thanks!

probably go for the 3080TI, would be an idea to get another drive for larger files.

nothing wrong with the build really go for it

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

1 minute ago, Acid Panda said:

probably go for the 3080TI, would be an idea to get another drive for larger files.

nothing wrong with the build really go for it

Do you think in the next 5 years (i'm asking you to guess, because obviously you can't know this) I'll need more than 12GB of vram in new AAA games? If at any point I'll need it, then I'll go for the 3090, but I'm not sure if there's even a good chance that I'll need it.

10 minutes ago, doxiMAN_MAN said:

Budget (including currency): 17000₪ (ils) +1000 over budget if necessary

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: a lot of gaming, all the new and old games.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

This is my part list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gCb7hk

Is this an optimal build? Do you have any recommendations to change/reconsider?

I'm not sure if I should go with a 3080Ti instead, because the only difference is the VRAM and I'm not sure how crucial that will be in the future (I don't plan to upgrade my PC in the next 4-5 years).

I'm buying it this month, no peripherals are needed, and i play at 1440p144hz.

Thanks!

Perhaps a 12900KF to save a few bucks, and you may be able to save a little money on the power supply as well by going with a lesser efficiency rating. I would recommend using those savings to get a bigger storage device or a second one.

Just now, Aaralli said:

Perhaps a 12900KF to save a few bucks, and you may be able to save a little money on the power supply as well by going with a lesser efficiency rating. I would recommend using those savings to get a bigger storage device or a second one.

I have a 4TB HDD that I'll be using from my old PC. I forgot to mention that so I just edited the main post.

@doxiMAN_MAN in the next 5 years i would say yes you will need more than 12GB of Vram. however by the time that has come around you are brought into the hight end GPU market so upgrading will be (comparatively) cheaper

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

8 minutes ago, doxiMAN_MAN said:

I have a 4TB HDD that I'll be using from my old PC. I forgot to mention that so I just edited the main post.

Ah well that works. The KF thing is a good idea thought because it it cheaper but has the same performance and you probably don't need the iGPU inside it, do you?

As a 3090 owner, do not buy one. Its makes absolutely no sense for any game at any normal resolution. I only bought one because it was a year ago and 3080 FE's were impossible to get in my Best Buy cart but 3090's we not so bad. I had a weak moment. 

If you cannot come up with a solid reason to get a 3090, then dont get it.

By the time you saturate 12gb of vram youll run out of actual gpu power anyway so might as well get a 3080

No one ever said "I have too much memory". If the 3090 is within reach get it. and you will likely never have to ever think about running out of VRAM in most games at most resolutions. Its the nice thing about buying a sledgehammer especially when you intend to keep it for 5+ years which is likely possible with this class of card.

Also on the note of future generations of cards being cheaper than they are now I should remind people that back in the 1080 Ti days $800 was considered steep for that card and stock was at times hard to come by. Do not plan on things getting cheaper or being immediately available if such miracles happen then by all means rejoice and upgrade otherwise buy the power now while you can so you can ride out any sort of market or supply issues with as little pain as possible.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

@Acid Panda@AaralliWhat do you think of this build? With the 3080Ti + bigger storage + better motherboard for more USB ports + better memory (the price where I buy it is still cheaper for this build, despite what the site says): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/doximanman/saved/cwrDjX

@Hybris5112I think these minor improvements are probably better than the minor improvement that I'll get in 4 years from the 3090, no? The price difference is 620$ (where I buy it) between the 3080Ti and 3090. Is it really worth to assume that the market shortage wouldn't get any better by then? Prices are already starting to go down.

5 minutes ago, doxiMAN_MAN said:

@Acid Panda@AaralliWhat do you think of this build? With the 3080Ti + bigger storage + better motherboard for more USB ports + better memory (the price where I buy it is still cheaper for this build, despite what the site says): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/doximanman/saved/cwrDjX

@Hybris5112I think these minor improvements are probably better than the minor improvement that I'll get in 4 years from the 3090, no? The price difference is 620$ (where I buy it) between the 3080Ti and 3090. Is it really worth to assume that the market shortage wouldn't get any better by then? Prices are already starting to go down.

Considering that the 3090 is doubling the memory unless you get a equivalent class of card in 4+ years or there a major leap in memory standards that make double digit VRAM standard practice the next generation will likely just be a little more heat and power efficient but not enough to force a upgrade

As for pricing it's always gamble but in a way the 3090 is insurance you can hope that the 4000/5000/6000 (Making assumptions here obviously) series cards all come out smoothly, that cyptominers will be held at bay, and places that produce the chips like Taiwan aren't in the middle of war with China, or that for one reason or another the markets don't loose their mind again for some damn reason.

I am a cynic by nature so I rather expect the worst and be proven wrong when it comes to things like this rather than be caught with my pants down.

8 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

Considering that the 3090 is doubling the memory unless you get a equivalent class of card in 4+ years or there a major leap in memory standards that make double digit VRAM standard practice the next generation will likely just be a little more heat and power efficient but not enough to force a upgrade

As for pricing it's always gamble but in a way the 3090 is insurance you can hope that the 4000/5000/6000 (Making assumptions here obviously) series cards all come out smoothly, that cyptominers will be held at bay, and places that produce the chips like Taiwan aren't in the middle of war with China, or that for one reason or another the markets don't loose their mind again for some damn reason.

I am a cynic by nature so I rather expect the worst and be proven wrong when it comes to things like this rather than be caught with my pants down.

But memory isn't everything. as the person above you said by the time 12GB isn't enough, my GPU will probably not be enough in terms of raw performance. I think by that point I'd have to upgrade my GPU if I want good performance on high settings regardless of how much VRAM it has.

I get your point though that you want to expect the worst, but with 620$ I don't think it's worth it, i guess i'm more 'expected value' oriented than worse case. I think I could save the difference (about 400$ with the upgrades I made), and start saving up until the day comes where I'll have to upgrade, and whether it be GPU power or VRAM shortage, I think those 400$, with some saving up, will probably give me the money I need to upgrade.

2 minutes ago, doxiMAN_MAN said:

But memory isn't everything. as the person above you said by the time 12GB isn't enough, my GPU will probably not be enough in terms of raw performance. I think by that point I'd have to upgrade my GPU if I want good performance on high settings regardless of how much VRAM it has.

I get your point though that you want to expect the worst, but with 620$ I don't think it's worth it, i guess i'm more 'expected value' oriented than worse case. I think I could save the difference (about 400$ with the upgrades I made), and start saving up until the day comes where I'll have to upgrade, and whether it be GPU power or VRAM shortage, I think those 400$, with some saving up, will probably give me the money I need to upgrade.

Its not like the 3090 is going to be a "slow" card for a long time and memory is a cap you are more likely to run into before needing more speed current patterns holding.

As for value that's up to your life situation so if the 3080 TI is better card in that respect then by all means get it. You are certainly still better off than the carrot chasing people buying the low end "just enough" GPUs because they expect to upgrade in a year or two max.

If both are at say 350w or 400w, and one has more shaders and memory to power, the 3080ti will likely boost higher in clocks when under load, as the 3090 has to power more shader units and power hungry GDDR6X memory modules with no increase in power limit, so it will have reduced clocks vs the 3080Ti and less shaders/memory. (for the non-bios modders out there)

Something to think about I guess.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz