Recommendation for Z690 board with good vrm and connectivity

Hello all,

My 9900k system needs to be replaced. I usually use my system for AI dev, VMs, and gaming.

I am looking at the below two boards and was wondering what the communities opinions are.

ASUS Z690-E ROG Strix Gaming
Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Master DDR5

The Asus one has a newer dac, better bios (IMHO), and better known for support plus good power delivery.

The Gigabyte has 10 gig lan (not a requirement at the moment but will be upgrading to that within the next year), 19 phase power delivery and more vrm cooling, good oc support.

read a few different reviews on both boards and kind of torn. I have used Gigabyte motherboards for a while now and they have all been rock solid for the most part. Asus burned me in the past with one of those ddr2/3 motherboards and they never took care of it. I know a lot has changed and now Gigabyte has issues. Sort of leaning to the Gigabyte though for the 10gig even though it is using an older dac.

I would appreciate the communities feed back.

5 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

Hello all,

My 9900k system needs to be replaced. I usually use my system for AI dev, VMs, and gaming.

I am looking at the below two boards and was wondering what the communities opinions are.

ASUS Z690-E ROG Strix Gaming
Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Master DDR5

The Asus one has a newer dac, better bios (IMHO), and better known for support plus good power delivery.

The Gigabyte has 10 gig lan (not a requirement at the moment but will be upgrading to that within the next year), 19 phase power delivery and more vrm cooling, good oc support.

read a few different reviews on both boards and kind of torn. I have used Gigabyte motherboards for a while now and they have all been rock solid for the most part. Asus burned me in the past with one of those ddr2/3 motherboards and they never took care of it. I know a lot has changed and now Gigabyte has issues. Sort of leaning to the Gigabyte though for the 10gig even though it is using an older dac.

I would appreciate the communities feed back.

I pretty much have the cheapest ddr4 z690 motherboard there is, and it has been fine. Mobos are over priced recently. I have the Asus Prime Z690- D4 Wifi. I would personally suggest anything but gigabyte. They have been TERRIBLE recently. Not that Asus and MSI are perfect, but they are better than gigabyte imo. 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

why does your i9 9900k need to be replaced? .. anything that's not working yet? . 

2 hours ago, Ryan829 said:

I pretty much have the cheapest ddr4 z690 motherboard there is, and it has been fine. Mobos are over priced recently. I have the Asus Prime Z690- D4 Wifi. I would personally suggest anything but gigabyte. They have been TERRIBLE recently. Not that Asus and MSI are perfect, but they are better than gigabyte imo. 

That's sort of why I am on the fence. The board I have for that system is a z390 master and has been good other than cmos battery going dead once. 

2 hours ago, Robchil said:

why does your i9 9900k need to be replaced? .. anything that's not working yet? . 

Maybe replaced is a bad choice of words. I am needing to run more vms than the system can do with the memory in it and the running debugging at the same time. So this will be turned into a hyperviser and then will have the new system only run the dev stuff and at most one vm instead of 7.