Can I start my new PC without wanting to install the software?

VelikiPCguy

Newbie builder here, a bit of a silly question - I'm almost done with my first PC build and I want to turn it on to see if everything is connected and working as intended, but I might not want to install the OS / software right away. Is this possible, or will the PC expect me to do so on the first boot? What are the consequences of not doing so - how would I even turn it off then?

Not a silly question. It's pretty typical with new hardware to test it outside of the case to make sure everything works before building it.

Yes, you can boot it and it will either say "Boot device not found" or go right into the bios. You can just turn it back off by turning the power supply off (if it has a switch), through the bios, holding down your case power button, or bridging the front panel jumpers with a screwdriver.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Ah ok, thank you both. I just know from "common wisdom" that it's not good to turn off the PC via the power or on/off button, but I assume that doesn't matter if it doesn't have anything installed? It can't harm the hardware in any way?

8 minutes ago, NewwGuyy123 said:

Ah ok, thank you both. I just know from "common wisdom" that it's not good to turn off the PC via the power or on/off button, but I assume that doesn't matter if it doesn't have anything installed? It can't harm the hardware in any way?

Correct. The general reason you don't hard shutdown via holding the power button is because if the OS or software running on the PC is writing important files, it can result in data loss or corruption. With no operating system running, you can shut it down via the power button no issue (assuming you're not flashing the BIOS or something). In fact, if you press the power button while it's booting, or in a screen like "no boot device found", it will often shut down immediately, as if you had held the button.

16 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Correct. The general reason you don't hard shutdown via holding the power button is because if the OS or software running on the PC is writing important files, it can result in data loss or corruption. With no operating system running, you can shut it down via the power button no issue (assuming you're not flashing the BIOS or something). In fact, if you press the power button while it's booting, or in a screen like "no boot device found", it will often shut down immediately, as if you had held the button.

Perfect, thanks!