Recommend me a WiFi Adapter for Gigabit (Maybe WiFi 6?)

Vorcen

Hi All,

Got Fibre to the home installed with a new ISP yesterday taking my fibre speeds from 80mb/s to the router, to now; just over a gig to the router (not bad considering they promised 900mb/s).

Router is in a great spot for wifi, but a little tricky for ethernet directly. I've currently been using an Asus USB AC68 AC1900 WiFi adapter. It's currently giving me 270-300mb/s on my desktop. Which is obviously well... great. But some of the laptops and phones in the house are taking much better advantage.

TL;DR recommend me a WiFi Adapter to take better advantage of the speedforce.

Bonus Question: Router can do WiFi 6, at this point, for a home usecase with no connectivity issues, should I care?

2 hours ago, Vorcen said:

Hi All,

Got Fibre to the home installed with a new ISP yesterday taking my fibre speeds from 80mb/s to the router, to now; just over a gig to the router (not bad considering they promised 900mb/s).

Router is in a great spot for wifi, but a little tricky for ethernet directly. I've currently been using an Asus USB AC68 AC1900 WiFi adapter. It's currently giving me 270-300mb/s on my desktop. Which is obviously well... great. But some of the laptops and phones in the house are taking much better advantage.

TL;DR recommend me a WiFi Adapter to take better advantage of the speedforce.

Bonus Question: Router can do WiFi 6, at this point, for a home usecase with no connectivity issues, should I care?

WiFi 6 can gain around 100Mbit in my experience compared to WiFi 5, though its mostly designed to split the throughput amongst multiple clients than to get a high-speed to a single one, so your mileage can vary.  But I have gotten really close to Gigabit as long as the download was multi-threaded (split into multiple downloads at the same time).

I'd advise any WiFi adapter based on the Intel AX210 chipset though you might need one with an antenna you can reposition away from the back of the PC, unless the router is located somewhere behind the PC (as the case will block the signals).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7