Looking to upgrade my corsair power supply and I have a few questions

Nasp11

Hello i just have a question. i bought a computer a while ago and i have the 750 Watt - CORSAIR RM750 80 PLUS Gold power supply but i would like to upgrade to a higher wattage. my issue is i do not feel like re wiring my case and i am just wondering if there is a direct upgrade from my current power supply that will allow me to just swap out the actual power supply and plug the wires that are already wired into the new one with a higher watt. i have researched that you cannot do this with any power supply because of how the lines are routed within. is there a specific corsair power supply that i could buy to replace the one i currently have that will allow me to just plug the old wiring into the new power supply?

This is the current one that i have:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/RM-Series%E2%84%A2-80-PLUS-Gold-Power-Supplies/p/CP-9020195-NA

35 minutes ago, Nasp11 said:

my issue is i do not feel like re wiring my case and i am just wondering if there is a direct upgrade from my current power supply that will allow me to just swap out the actual power supply and plug the wires that are already wired into the new one with a higher watt.

I highly dont recommend you to do that. 15$ in your wasted hour is far less compared to 400-ish dollars in replacing CPU, motherboard, and PSU that you accidentally fry. 

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Current Corsair PSUs use the same cables. You can check the cable compatibility on their website, the RM PSU you have uses "Type 4" cables.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

49 minutes ago, Nasp11 said:

CORSAIR RM750 80 PLUS Gold power supply but i would like to upgrade to a higher wattage.

Is your PC shutting off under load? I doubt you need a larger PSU unless ur running a heavy oc/more than 10 cores and a 3090.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

Is your PC shutting off under load? I doubt you need a larger PSU unless ur running a heavy oc/more than 10 cores and a 3090.

i am currently running msi rtx 3090 with amd ryzen 9 3900x so i would like more power because i do not like running on the roof. unfortunatley i had to buy a prebuilt because i wanted a 3090 so i did not have much of a choice.

12 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Current Corsair PSUs use the same cables. You can check the cable compatibility on their website, the RM PSU you have uses "Type 4" cables.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

i am struggling to understand how this chart works, could you possibly help me with selecting a PSU that is compatable with my current PSU but just with higher wattage (850W-950W prefereably)

1 minute ago, Nasp11 said:

i am currently running msi rtx 3090 with amd ryzen 9 3900x so i would like more power because i do not like running on the roof. unfortunatley i had to buy a prebuilt because i wanted a 3090 so i did not have much of a choice.

750w is likely enough unless your playing games while encoding on the CPU at the same time or something.

2 minutes ago, Nasp11 said:

i am struggling to understand how this chart works, could you possibly help me with selecting a PSU that is compatable with my current PSU but just with higher wattage (850W-950W prefereably)

Any PSU with 3 orange dots you can use.

just don't get it wrong now, or you are going to fry your build.

throwing cash out the window. also why do you need more power anyways?

for most builds 750 should hold